12 inch acrylic blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

Got a new PSI catalog and they are now selling some of their more popular acrylic blanks in a 12 inch length. I don't turn a lot of acrylic but buying them in longer length seems like a good idea to me. I think it would yield less waste. Anyways, this post is just an FYI.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I turn almost no acrylic. I do try to work down my box of Corian. BUT, if you can get longer lengths, in material you like, I do see the advantage.

magpens

Thank you for this info, Ken. . I agree that longer could be better due to less waste. . All depends on what pens you are making.

I see that they have some wood "pen blanks" sized at 1" x 1" x 12" - That IS wasteful because I have never seen a pen that big in diameter.
Of course, people make things other than pens ..... and "pen blank" is just a category of size.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Not really. If you think about it. I think more waste. Blanks are normally 5 " . 2 pens and now you have 2" waste plus what ever from the pen. Maybe if you are using for segmenting it may help. Not sure why they did that.

How is the price compared to 2 individual blanks??

Last edited:

greenacres2

I've been buying Tim McKenzie's DiamondCast in 9" rods, can get 2 Juniors from each if i space correctly. Can almost get 2 cigars. At 12" you'd get the flexibility to cut off what you need. Some of our segmenters make art from 3/4" off-cuts--i just make boxes of off-cuts!!
earl

greenacres2

Not really. If you think about it. I think more waste. Blanks are normally 5 " . 2 pens and now you have 2" waste plus what ever from the pen. Maybe if you are using for segmenting it may help. Not sure why they did that.

I don't know John, i can do a Jr with 4 1/4" to 4 3/8". At 5" i get a long off-cut. At 12", i've got a pair of Jr's and a Vertex or Polaris. Can't speak to the pricing question--but definitely less waste with pre-planning.
earl

jttheclockman

I don't know John, i can do a Jr with 4 1/4" to 4 3/8". At 5" i get a long off-cut. At 12", i've got a pair of Jr's and a Vertex or Polaris. Can't speak to the pricing question--but definitely less waste with pre-planning.
earl
That is the point you can get both cigars or JR with 5" blanks So 2-- 5" blanks is 10" What is the big deal with 2 extra inches?? I do not see the value except that they would be from the same stock number if that matters. This is why vendors sell blanks in 5" sizes. I did not measure but maybe you can get 3 Zen size pens from it. To me a waste of money. I would not buy 12" rods unless some exotic acrylic.

I guess you are saying you can get 3 pens from the 12" blank. Well I applaud you for doing it for sure. If money wise it adds up then go for it. PSI is always looking for a gimmick.

KenB259

2 inches is a very usable amount of material, whereas the .5 to .75 approximate waste of a normal pen blank is not. I know we all save those little cutoffs but I end up just trashing them.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

TonyL

Thank you very much for the PSA Ken. Depending on the cost, this could come in handy.

This is funny. Unless one knows the cost of the longer blank AND what pens someone plans to make, how does one determine what is a waste? If the cost of the 12 inch blank is the same as the 5", would it be a waste? - of course not (I'm just using an extreme example to make a point). The same logic goes for the types of pen we turn. We can all get an Aero and a Executive out of one shorter blank. I don't understand how anyone knows it is a waste (I really don't) - unless one compares the cost per unit of measures between the two lengths.

Last edited:

pshrynk

Haven't gotten my catalog yet, but if they are larger diameter, they might be useful for other projects. There are some things i want to do in plastics, but can't find anything larger than 3/4. Also, for pen sets, FP and RB, etc., a longer blank would be handy.

TonyL

Here's the cost per inch, buying 1 to 5:

5" blank: 0 79 per inch
12" blank 0.66 per inch

I don't see waste, but I want to learn.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Trim rings... End Caps.

Folks, these are easy! As short as 1/2"can be used. To thin to cut; nope. Glue it onto a dowel and then you have a 4" long piece and can cut the 1/2" end into 2 - 1/4" end caps.

Attachments

• IMG_1578.jpg
    IMG_1578.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0407.jpg
    IMG_0407.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 142

KenB259

Trim rings... End Caps.

Folks, these are easy! As short as 1/2"can be used. To thin to cut; nope. Glue it onto a dowel and then you have a 4" long piece and can cut the 1/2" end into 2 - 1/4" end caps.
Thanks Mark, awesome tip on safely cutting those short pieces, now Im regretting all the ones I have thrown away :(

jttheclockman

For all that do not think it is a waste then lets see all those segmented pens Lets see them. I do not see them during the year here at all. I will again say IT IS MY OPINION. I never said do not buy them. They do sell in 24" rods too so even more savings.
Ken you want tips for saving pieces. Save all cardboard, paper, metal cans, plastic wraps, string, all food products out of the cupboard, in fact thrown nothing out. It can be added to a pen in some way or form. Lets see those pens people. Bash is over does not mean stop being innovative. Lets see some exciting pens this year. One other thing when comparing pricing look at other vendors also. If comparing to PSI then you can compare between them. Just saying.;);););););););)

Here are a couple links and there are many more that sell 24" or even 41" rods for those segmenters.

https://woodpenpro.com/products/40-inch-acrylic-rod-super-rod

https://www.thewoodturningstore.com/blanks/pen-blanks/extra-long-blanks/

Last edited:

budnder

I went through this last week on a casting where I had exactly two inches left. In poking around my kit inventory, I came across a grip Sierra, which makes for a real nice pen and needs just under a two inch blank.

TonyL

For all that do not think it is a waste then lets see all those segmented pens Lets see them. I do not see them during the year here at all. I will again say IT IS MY OPINION. I think I am still allowed to have an opinion. I never said do not buy them. They do sell in 24" rods too so even more savings.
Ken you want tips for saving pieces. Save all cardboard, paper, metal cans, plastic wraps, string, all food products out of the cupboard, in fact thrown nothing out. It can be added to a pen in some way or form. Lets see those pens people. Bash is over does not mean stop being innovative. Lets see some exciting pens this year. One other thing when comparing pricing look at other vendors also. If comparing to PSI then you can compare between them. Just saying. Save those large boxes so you can store all those little pieces in. now lets get segmenting.

Here are a couple links and there are many more that sell 24" or even 41" rods for those segmenters.

https://woodpenpro.com/products/40-inch-acrylic-rod-super-rod

https://www.thewoodturningstore.com/blanks/pen-blanks/extra-long-blanks/

Asking (not rhetorically), I hope that I am missing something.
  • Who said you are not allowed to have an opinion?
  • Who disrespected your opinion?
  • I even asked all to inform me of where the waste and gimmicks are (sincerely asked out of expect for wanting to learn what )
  • Why the challenge to save all, start segmenting, etc?
  • Why can't someone just want to save money on a cost per inch basis?

Given your knowledge, intentions, desire to help others, and skill, I take your advice very seriously in the context of pen turning and woodworking. In fact, it appears that I am not alone. Please feel free to answer via PM (or not at all). Otherwise, folks will continue to respond the same way and you may feel the same way.

I hope this comes out the right way.

jttheclockman

Asking (not rhetorically), I hope that I am missing something.
  • Who said you are not allowed to have an opinion?
  • Who disrespected your opinion?
  • I even asked all to inform me of where the waste and gimmicks are (sincerely asked out of expect for wanting to learn what )
  • Why the challenge to save all, start segmenting, etc?
  • Why can't someone just want to save money on a cost per inch basis?

Given your knowledge, intentions, desire to help others, and skill, I take your advice very seriously in the context of pen turning and woodworking. In fact, it appears that I am not alone. Please feel free to answer via PM (or not at all). Otherwise, folks will continue to respond the same way and you may feel the same way.

I hope this comes out the right way.
Tony I have turned over a new leaf here so I am not getting into this with you or anyone else. But all I said it was a waste in my eyes and then 10 posts turn around and say it is not a waste. Everyone do as they wish that is why they sell things buy what you want save what you want.:):):):):):) Maybe it is me who is missing something with the odd measurement of 12". Maybe some who mentioned other things outside of pens is the idea behind the rods. My mind went right to pens. Maybe that is where the thinking is other things that can use longer lengths.

OK I just went to PSI to see for myself the new 12" blanks. Now not a scientific study but I see they offer various woods and acrylics at different prices. But I took a popular color the Lava Silk Ruby Red blank 12" (3/4" X 3/4") = $8 The 5" (3/4" X 3/4") = $3.45 each So 2-- 5" blanks equal 10" comes to $6.90 The extra 2" cost $1.10. But sticking with pen making only, there is a possibility to get 3 pens out of the 12" blank if cut carefully. Where as if you had to buy 3--5" blanks it would cost you an extra $2.35 to get that third pen but you could end up with a longer piece for a fourth pen. or larger segmenting. Now they are advertising as pen blanks so I see no intention on their part to lead to other projects but as we all know pen blanks can be used for various projects and this is where maybe the longer length pays off.

Not sure what this all means but had to check it out for myself. Just another tool that Ken brought to attention. Again if my comment about waste offended anyone it was not my intention, just my opinion. Back to pen making so lets see them.

Last edited:

KenB259

My goodness guys, why did this post take such an ugly turn? I just seen something new and was letting everyone know. I like learning about new offerings, I guess everyone doesn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

magpens

Glad I bowed out of this. . Hate confrontations .... in this case about virtually nothing !! . LOL !

I thanked you already, Ken. . And thanks again .... the info is useful and interesting. . I also like learning about new offerings such as in your OP.

BTW, I do "Depression Era" economics as well .... LOL !! .... I save the cutoffs .... AND .... I often use them .... for pressing blocks or for end caps or for trim rings .... cut to "thin" slices just like Mark suggests. . A "spare" metal lathe with a thin parting blade really helps here .... so that's the economics lesson for today !!!! :)

Last edited:

More4dan

When making a kitless pen I end up using 2 blanks and sometimes struggle to get those random patterns to align from two blanks. The longer one would help keep section, body, and cap matched. I would have enough left over to make a kit pen (single tube).

Danny

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom