12/4 blanks... what to do?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from sbarton22

sbarton22

Everywhere I go, I come across 4" blanks of all manner of radius.

What I can't figure out, is what people do with these. Obviously, they are too short to do a hollow form like a vase. Once you true it up, you have less than 4" to work with.

So, if you are looking at proportion of width vs height, how does this magic 4" blank work at any radius?

What kind of things do you folks turn? I fell that it is way too thick for a plate or platter, and to shallow for much else other than a simple bowl.

I guess I'm looking for some ideas or examples of what other folks make.

Side note: I always misjudge the scale of turnings. I think they are 8-12" tall, and they end up being 4-6".

Any ideas?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbarton22

Man, I made a peppermill for someone last year, and I just didn't have the patience for it. It wasn't terribly difficult, but I remember that it wasn't a heck of a lot of fun.

Ok, you folks have talked me into giving it another go.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
PM me your email address, I will send you a tutorial on peppermills. Still takes forever to drill, but the process is, at least logical!

PWL

Ed
Can you pm me the tutorial on peppermills. I have the kits but I'm a little leery about starting them.

Thanks,have a nice day.
Paul

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I have been reminded you can download the instructional pictorial at this link:

Instructions

scroll to near the bottom of the page, look for "other how-to's"--the peppermill tutorial is "on line" there, no cost to download.

plantman

:rolleyes::rolleyes: I have used large turning blocks for pen blanks. To make them more interesting, I cut them at different angles to the grain or across the end grain. I also cut them into 1 -1 1/4" squares by 6"s long. Turn round with 1/2 of the blank being about 1/8 inch larger than the other half , cut in half and drill out the centers large enough to hold a pen. Tap and thread the ends. Now I have a unique wooden pen case. You could also make a slip fit for the two halfs. Just because the block starts off being 4"s thick, doesn't mean it has stay that way. You have to think outside of the block sometimes. Jim S

toyotaman

Nice little tutorial from Exotic Blanks on the mills. I might have learned something. I've not made my first one either. I've had a kit for a few months.

Man, I made a peppermill for someone last year, and I just didn't have the patience for it. It wasn't terribly difficult, but I remember that it wasn't a heck of a lot of fun.

Ok, you folks have talked me into giving it another go.

Peppermills are my favorite turnings... I just have to limit the number I make 'cause the don't move as well as I would like.

Top Bottom