110 Year Old Floor Plank Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from NewfoundlandLaw

My Mother-in-Law recently gave me a very special family heirloom and asked that I cut it apart to make a Pen. The board was badly degraded and made from very soft pine. To be honest, I was terrified it wouldn't hold up to the forces of the lathe and I'd essentially destroy a piece of their family history.

After putting the tubes in with epoxy, I sharpened my chisel cutter-head til it was like a razors-edge and slowly/carefully worked the wood into shape. To my surprise it came out beautifully, especially after a coat of BLO and 10 coats of Cyanoacrylate.

It is made from 110+ year old wood from my Mother-in-Law's family home.

The whole home was floated on the North Atlantic from their Relocated home on Deer Island to Ramea. (This is a particularly sad part of Newfoundland's history where people were forced from their ancestral homes to try and "centralize"'the population.) The home was torn down over a decade ago. This single plank is all that remains from the home.

I have to make 2 more for my Wife's remaining Aunt and Uncle who also grew up in the home.

IMG_4504.JPGIMG_4507.JPGIMG_4508.JPGIMG_4510.JPG

"Pen Turning on the Rock"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1080Wayne

Good for you ! Probably shouldn`t suggest it , but cross-cut usually shows the grain even better , although the risk is certainly higher . And a small knot or two adds more beauty and quite a bit more risk . Depends on how much wood you have to play with , I guess .

Good for you ! Probably shouldn`t suggest it , but cross-cut usually shows the grain even better , although the risk is certainly higher . And a small knot or two adds more beauty and quite a bit more risk . Depends on how much wood you have to play with , I guess .

I was thinking that but I don't think the wood would handle the stress cut that way.....

"Pen Turning on the Rock"

Top Bottom