10 Minutes To Better Pen Making - No More Out-Of-Round Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mg_dreyer

Just another quick video on "out of round". We look at two issues - mandrels and their progression over the years and the lathe itself. I show my preferred way.

Always looking for comments and feedback.

Click Here - 10 Minutes To Better Pen Making - No More Out-Of-Round Pens

Thumbnail - 10 Minutes - Stopping Out Of Round Blanks.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

Great Job Mark! I like how you show each option out there and explain the problems with them. I can see this being a big help to many. You've got a great line up of videos out there! Thanks for putting in the time and work!

Sly Dog

It's a good video and you explain the issue well (you're a good teacher). I'm just not a fan of the "turn-between-center mandrel system". I bought it a couple of years ago and was getting a lot of OOR turnings. Couldn't figure out why because the mandrel ends lined up between head and tail stock. Then I discovered the tail stock section had a wobble - I could easily move the little mandrel slightly off center with my fingers. So I think it was the main cause of my OOR turnings. Maybe I just got a bad set (I didn't return it for another set), but I think others here have had a similar experience.

Once I discovered TBC bushings I rarely have the OOR problem. My back up is the mandrel saver you used which works well, too.

Thanks for making the videos!
Russ

The Youtube video by Mark Dreyer was right on point. I found my nylon washers at Home Depot, hardware aisle, gray metal drawers, where the specialty items are found. They're in little plastic bags, it says "EVERBILT" on the top. Listed as "SPACERS", 0.257" ID, x 1/2" OD x 1/4"L.
Two numbers on package, 595 447 (Fine print), down by the barcode 8 87480 14998 2.
A two (2) pack cost me with sales taxes $.87.
PLEASE NOTE, NO DRILLING NECESSARY. THEY FIT THE "TBC" MORSE TAPER SPINDLES EASILY. NO FORCING, THEY'RE SLIGHTLY SLOPPY, BUT THAT'S OK.
I believe that small amount of relief on the shafts near the spindle serves at least two purposes. Perhaps to keep tube from sticking, a void where a little extra finish could collect.

THANK YOU MARK DREYER, and ED at EXOTIC BLANKS, MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!

CHARLIE

Top Bottom