10 minute finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

calabrese55

I went into my shop this morning wanting to try a finish process I just discovered on YouTube.
Interruptions all day until about a hour ago keep me from it but done now.
Most of you "Pen Pals" here likely know about this but pen turning is new for me and possibly others here also so have a look at the picture here , It is simply a piece of red oak scrap that once I had it turned to a place to finish it took less than 10 minutes to coat it 3 times and buff once with Yourshire grit.
The complete process went like this turn ..... 220 sand ...... 320 sand ....... 400 sand and the finish.......
I am amazed in how soft and smooth this turned out can't wait to actually use it ( slower) on my next pen.....................BOFFO FINISH
calabrese55

finish test.jpg

egnald

About 10 years ago, one of the IAP members, Don Ward (its_virgil) passed on a couple of explanations behind the chemistry of this Boiled Linseed Oil and CA finish, including how the polymers link in BLO and CA and how it provides a more flexible, less brittle resin than with CA alone. Link to the thread: Why-BLO-CA. - Dave

Darios

Appreciate this gents - I'd toyed with BLO/CA briefly but wasn't happy with the results. I'll have to give it another try based on the above.

Dr. Verhaar's explanation is interesting, but it raises the questions for me regarding the difference in both yellowing and durability between CA alone vs BLO alone vs CA/BLO.

... because just affording the shop isn't expensive enough, now let's add a degree in polymer/industrial chemistry to the mix. :/
... ... wait. There are a whole 'nuther set of tools I'd need to pick up in order to properly anaylize these results right? hmm......

derekdd

Appreciate this gents - I'd toyed with BLO/CA briefly but wasn't happy with the results. I'll have to give it another try based on the above.

Dr. Verhaar's explanation is interesting, but it raises the questions for me regarding the difference in both yellowing and durability between CA alone vs BLO alone vs CA/BLO.

... because just affording the shop isn't expensive enough, now let's add a degree in polymer/industrial chemistry to the mix. :/
... ... wait. There are a whole 'nuther set of tools I'd need to pick up in order to properly anaylize these results right? hmm......
So true.

It never ends.

Top Bottom