1" Blanks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Does anyone know of a regular source that stocks 1 x1 square or 1" round blanks?
Not a popular size. You may find some oddball blanks but you will not find alot of them. Not easy to cut or even cast.

5/4 wood. big $$$ if segmenting it is alot easier to make your own.

Last edited:

jrista

You can use 1x1x12 hobby blanks. You can buy them just about anywhere you can buy turning blanks.

As @dogcatcher said...
This is what I do, if I need a larger blank. In fact, I usually find that buying 1x1x12" or longer is a better deal than buying pre-cut 1x1x5-6" blanks. If you find them on sale, a MUCH better deal. ;)

sorcerertd

This is what I do, if I need a larger blank. In fact, I usually find that buying 1x1x12" or longer is a better deal than buying pre-cut 1x1x5-6" blanks. If you find them on sale, a MUCH better deal. ;)
I usually have some on hand for magic wands. Also, a better bargain than blanks is to buy board feet. The local wood shop usually has 4/4, and will sell me a piece as long (or short) as I want as long as the board they are cutting from is not left less than 6'.

jrista

I usually have some on hand for magic wands. Also, a better bargain than blanks is to buy board feet. The local wood shop usually has 4/4, and will sell me a piece as long (or short) as I want as long as the board they are cutting from is not left less than 6'.
Yup! I buy boards as well. I was blown away at the cost of Ipe blanks, oh, near the beginning of the year now I guess. I bought a board of Ipe, actually two, both with very interesting grain (one had green fibers, the other stark white). Cost per blank from the boards was around half or less the cost of a single pre-cut individual blank. I now have a bunch of boards. Its a more cost effective way of getting ahold of blanks for exotic woods. I still find these $0.99-$1.49 deals on more common wood blanks at places like Rockler, so I usually just buy those if I need say maple or walnut or something like that. But boards are still the best way to get exotic wood for blanks if you nee them.

jttheclockman

Those are turning blocks and yes you can buy those as 1X1 or even larger sizes if that is what you are after. You can buy turning blocks as well and cut them to size needed so as to not waste. i use those when turning my birdhouse ornaments. But can get costly. BBuying flat stock and board feet and cutting is another way to make your own but again 5/4 is not cheap.

jrista

Buying flat stock and board feet and cutting is another way to make your own but again 5/4 is not cheap.
True, but, if you do a cost analysis, more often than not I think its cheaper to buy the board and cut it up yourself. If someone cuts blanks out of a board for you, they are going to factor in their own time into the cost of each resulting blank, and cover any of their costs in doing so as well.

You will have to invest your own time cutting up a board yourself, but, you can be pretty economical about it, and cut only when you need to, etc.

jttheclockman

True, but, if you do a cost analysis, more often than not I think its cheaper to buy the board and cut it up yourself. If someone cuts blanks out of a board for you, they are going to factor in their own time into the cost of each resulting blank, and cover any of their costs in doing so as well.

You will have to invest your own time cutting up a board yourself, but, you can be pretty economical about it, and cut only when you need to, etc.
But when doing that most woods are boring when cut into small blanks. They look good as a whole but are not intended to cut that small. That is why burls and spalted and other interesting grain woods sell higher. I have some great looking bocote boards and rosewood boards but if cut up all looks are gone. use them on a larger projects and they jump at you. if you are looking for just normal straight grain woods than yes you can save some but buying 5/4 stock and doing that you are up in price.

derekdd

Cook Woods does, but i buy 1" boards and cut my own.

Significantly cheaper that way.

I have a resaw blade on the bandsaw with fence and feather board. Makes quick work of cutting up pieces for turning.

jrista

But when doing that most woods are boring when cut into small blanks. They look good as a whole but are not intended to cut that small. That is why burls and spalted and other interesting grain woods sell higher. I have some great looking bocote boards and rosewood boards but if cut up all looks are gone. use them on a larger projects and they jump at you. if you are looking for just normal straight grain woods than yes you can save some but buying 5/4 stock and doing that you are up in price.
Yeah, I guess the kind of grain would matter. I'd say most of the boards I have are mostly strait grained woods that are interesting enough throughout the board.

Top Bottom