04: Bingo Chip Laminates

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wmcullen

I'm not sure if this process is right or wrong; unique or common. But it works for me and I want to share in case it's interesting.​
04: Bingo Chip Laminates
last post: 03-Miter Cut Blank Laminates
d1.jpg

Finding inexpensive materials to insert into pens has become an interesting "sub hobby."
Old gift cards... yep.
Cut-up soda cans... yep.
Colored card stock... big yep.
Bacon... not saying.
Plastic chips... yep.

I came across these inexpensive translucent bingo chips (which you might find at a dollar store) and wondered how they would look.
d5.jpg

The Problem
Stacking the chips with CA glue makes them a little slippery. I wanted to find a simple way to hold them in place while they dried.

Here's my process
(Not rocket surgery, just how I did it.)
d2.jpg

1. Instead of drilling a 7mm hole straight through my blank, I split it into a "top" and "bottom" section and only drilled through the "bottom."
d6.jpg

2. Using a 3/4" spade bit, I drilled into the "bottom" to create a well.
d7.jpg

3. I put down alternating layers of CA glue and plastic chips until it reached the top of the well.
4. The "top" piece was glued onto the stack of chips.
d8.jpg

5. Turning the blank over, I continued drilling the 7mm hole from bottom and through the top.
(Be careful. Drilling through the chips too fast may melt the plastic!)
d9.jpg

6. Once drilled, I inserted a brass tube and continue processing the blank normally.
d3.jpg

d4.jpg

d1.jpg

Summary
Looking for interesting materials to laminate reminds me of those stories of Thomas Edison trying to find electric light bulb filaments. It required experimentation and evaluation... and could be a lot of fun in its own right.
I wonder if Edison ever considered bacon.​

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

@Wmcullen

I am really glad that you wrote this thread. . This kind of lamination has fascinated me for a long time. . I have collected lots of "chips" but never done anything with them. . Your technique, described above, may be the motivation that I need !! . :D

I should add that I really like your style of writing threads .... maintaining continuity with your previous reports while you expand on your own ideas.
Very well done reporting in each thread also !!! . Thank you !!

BTW, I am not a bacon aficionado in any way but I will read anything you "cook up" !

Last edited:

jttheclockman

I like it alot. Also like your detailed explanation and process. Being a segmenter for a long time I am constantly looking for things to use for both segmenting and casting into blanks. That is the challenge for me. Can turn the everyday ordinary wood or acrylic pens but the unique ones is what interests me.

Have to say and do not want to hijack your post but to help emphasis it that I did something similar with a material close to your chips. It was Celluloid Guitar Picks in various colors. I will include a couple photos of mine too. But to your point about holding and drilling was a challenge. I too had to make a jig to hold the picks because as you stack they slide around. I chose epoxy because I just do not trust CA. The other thing that needs to be watched is the stacking needs to be straight up and down and also even. Especially with epoxy because too much under one can tilt the stack and it will show when drilling and assembly. Yours came out great and add it to the list of materials that can be used in pen making blanks. Thanks for posting.

Copy of IMGP0524.JPGCopy of IMGP0497.JPG

Wmcullen

@Wmcullen

I am really glad that you wrote this thread. . This kind of lamination has fascinated me for a long time. . I have collected lots of "chips" but never done anything with them. . Your technique, described above, may be the motivation that I need !! . :D

I should add that I really like your style of writing threads .... maintaining continuity with your previous reports while you expand on your own ideas.
Very well done reporting in each thread also !!! . Thank you !!

BTW, I am not a bacon aficionado in any way but I will read anything you "cook up" !
Thanks for the feedback and kind words. It's been fun to organize and present a few of the ideas I've had. This is a great community of encouraging experts and I've appreciated the support!

Wmcullen

I like it alot. Also like your detailed explanation and process. Being a segmenter for a long time I am constantly looking for things to use for both segmenting and casting into blanks. That is the challenge for me. Can turn the everyday ordinary wood or acrylic pens but the unique ones is what interests me.

Have to say and do not want to hijack your post but to help emphasis it that I did something similar with a material close to your chips. It was Celluloid Guitar Picks in various colors. I will include a couple photos of mine too. But to your point about holding and drilling was a challenge. I too had to make a jig to hold the picks because as you stack they slide around. I chose epoxy because I just do not trust CA. The other thing that needs to be watched is the stacking needs to be straight up and down and also even. Especially with epoxy because too much under one can tilt the stack and it will show when drilling and assembly. Yours came out great and add it to the list of materials that can be used in pen making blanks. Thanks for posting.

View attachment 293707View attachment 293708
John: This is fantastic. Thanks for the response and adding to the discussion. Celluloid Guitar Picks are now on my list of materials to try!
Cullen

Top Bottom