“No Turning Necessary”

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

What do you all think about this new option? Personally I don't think it's good for the pen making community generally. There's no creativity, no skill involved. Non penmakers won't even know about it and I can't fathom a pen maker with even just a little talent buying this. Just my opinion and curious what others think.
EA77E7D7-2DA4-4FDE-BECC-19E335B32BC4.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

Another issue I thought of was the fact that we all know, I quality pen barrel is turned to match the specific components of the particular pen you're making. I doubt any of us mass produce turned barrels and then just slap together a pen.

jttheclockman

I too am not a fan just like when I see a certain member here that makes blanks that are already finished and all the person has to do is snap the components on. Said this for years. But there is a market for everything I guess.

Larryreitz

That fits the definition of a kit and products made from kits are at least frowned on and often banned by juried Art & Craft shows.

Larry

SteveG

I am just sitting here at my desk, thinking of all the shop time I could save (and money too, by buying in quantity). I am almost drooling as I contemplate all the other endeavours that are opening up now that this opportunity of my lifetime has opened up to me! Can it be true? I just revel in the hours of NOT turning that lie before me. And how joyful am I, as I reflect on all the wear and tear that will hit somebody else's lathe...not mine. Also: safety and health. No breathing in that ultra fine stuff that flies off the blank as it progresses from being a mere chunk of material to an incredible component of a custom writing instrument.

I could go on and on, but instead MUST go about placing my order, IOT get this whole process started. Perhaps I can get some help from you other members here. Do you think I should start with the quantity of 10 or just jump right in and get 25? I am leaning toward the larger quantity, just thinking of how enhanced my life would be going forward! ( I may be getting a bit caught up in all of this, but am wondering if there might be similar opportunities awaiting me in the kitless pen realm?

sorcerertd

So, it would make anyone capable of being a mass producer. Not only not a fan, but don't like it at all. This actually looks like some April Fools joke. I already see too much of what I think is poorly crafted items for sale on Etsy on the cheap.

dogcatcher

The purist will not use them. But I bet there will be many people that will.

It is no different than duck callmakers that buy the toneboards. They either can't make a toneboard or they are too lazy too learn. The various toneboard sellers sell them by the 1000s to so called duck callmakers.

wimkluck

What is penmaking?
Most of us buy a pen kit and maybe a pen blank. They are also pre-drilled. So now also ready. When are you a "real" pen maker? If you even make your own nibs? Pour your own blanks? Even make your own paint?

I also stabilize and cast my own blanks, buy the wood and have everything to make bespoke fountain pens. Where is the border. I don't make my own hardware. No one here sees that as a problem. I don't think pens consisting only of purchased parts belong here.

jttheclockman

Who's ad is this? I looked at PSI and could not find it. My question would be are these cast in resin or is this a raw CF topping to give that tactile feel to quote another member? CF in raw state is dangerous.

jrista

Not a fan. There are already a lot of very cheap pens on sites like Etsy and eBay, priced so low I don't know how people are making any money off of them, which makes it hard to make any kind of living in this space. This will just make that problem that much worse. Not a fan at all.

I'm still honing my skills, which takes a good while. Once I feel I've mastered the blank making and blank turning aspect, I'm actually interested in getting into making my own hardware. Not just clips, but maybe even rollerball or ballpoint nibs and the like. Just to further the uniqueness of my "brand"...

Canned "only assembly required" stuff really diminishes what is otherwise an arena for high quality, unique, artistic luxury items hand crafted by skilled individuals.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Our church hosts Gathering Place once a month which gives caretakers an opportunity to bring their Alzheimer's & dementia family members to a day of fellowship and activities. My wife is in charge of crafts for them. The crafts have to be very simple and require a minimum of thought & dexterity.

I am planning to turn & finish a dozen or so single tube blanks for her so they can assemble a pen for one of her crafts next year. A press would be the only tool they'd have to use.

I'll probably use wood or acrylic so each pen will be unique, but there is a place for "no turning" pen assembly in this world.

jttheclockman

No different than any other pre cast blank. I think it would look better if it was a twill pattern though.
The point the OP is making is that it is entirely finished. Turned to size and polished. All you need to do is add components and you have a pen. Now is this make a pen maker a pen maker. Will throw my question in here. Craftsman or Artisan? :) :)

David350

This reminds me of building model rockets in the early 70's (Estes). The first kits I bought requires you to cut the rocket fins from sheets of balsa wood, attach them to the tubes with glue, apply sanding sealer, then paint, add decals, etc. In short, they required a lot of time & work before you could get to the point of launching them. Years later, they introduced more "finished" models where the fins were molded, and you rolled on all the "paint" as a large sticker around the body / tube of the rocket. I'm assuming they were trying to appeal to the market segment that had less time on their hands / patience to truly "build" a model rocket. If we would have had the internet back in the 70's. I'm sure some of the model rocket builders might have have posted the same thoughts on assembling vs making / building. In short, I think they are trying to appeal to more people and I don't think it diminishes our efforts as these "assembly kits" will by definition have a limited amount of variation vs. the seemingly infinite amount of variation the pen makers on this forum produce daily...

Top Bottom