‘Gang’ Mandrels?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chasboy1

Hi Folks, I have no idea what to title this thread!:p
My question is if anyone has done or an idea for a mandrel/arbor that would allow me to sand/polish a few barrels at a time. I'm making 2 sets of measuring spoons with a total of 8 barrels. I'd like to polish at least 2 at one time (prefer 4) . Use a long piece of threaded rod? I have a Shopsmith so I can put the drill chuck on the left side and run <something there as well.
thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GuyOwen

they have buffing attachments for your lathe on Penn State industries website but i hand sand all of my barrels so i dont have any good suggestions other wise

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska - I buy Oil Hard Drill Rods from Grainger to use as replacement mandrels. I use both "C" (0.242 inches in diameter) and "D" (0.246 inches in diameter). They are about $6.00 and are 36 inches long. (I use the "C" for 7mm slimlines and such where the "D" diameter is just a tad tight. The drill rod can be cut to whatever length you need using a Dremel tool, angle grinder, or even a hacksaw. I clean up the ends and deburr them by adding a slight chamfer on my sander.

Regards,
Dave

PS Granger has very speedy deliver to Nebraska - I usually have my order in only 2 or 3 days.

its_virgil

Hi Folks, I have no idea what to title this thread!:p
My question is if anyone has done or an idea for a mandrel/arbor that would allow me to sand/polish a few barrels at a time. I'm making 2 sets of measuring spoons with a total of 8 barrels. I'd like to polish at least 2 at one time (prefer 4) . Use a long piece of threaded rod? I have a Shopsmith so I can put the drill chuck on the left side and run <something there as
Letter D drill rod works great. And if the mandrel is held with a collet chuck or Jacob's chuck and a mandrel saver of some type in the tail then no threading. Just cut to length and use it. I've not purchased a mandrel in several years.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Chasboy1

Greetings from Nebraska - I buy Oil Hard Drill Rods from Grainger to use as replacement mandrels. I use both "C" (0.242 inches in diameter) and "D" (0.246 inches in diameter). They are about $6.00 and are 36 inches long. (I use the "C" for 7mm slimlines and such where the "D" diameter is just a tad tight. The drill rod can be cut to whatever length you need using a Dremel tool, angle grinder, or even a hacksaw. I clean up the ends and deburr them by adding a slight chamfer on my sander.

Regards,
Dave

PS Granger has very speedy deliver to Nebraska - I usually have my order in only 2 or 3 days.
thanks, I just ordered same.

Chasboy1

Regards,
Dave

Dave, I picked mine up yesterday from the Grainger depot 20 min away. I see that one is tighter than the other. Does the larger one fit 'too tight' on a 'clean' 7mm tube? I have 4 blanks to turn now, and I assume I can't do more than one even on drill rod. However when it comes time to sand/polish them, since I do find some glue residue inside should I 'gang' them on the C rod or try to make them fit the D?

egnald

Dave, I picked mine up yesterday from the Grainger depot 20 min away. I see that one is tighter than the other. Does the larger one fit 'too tight' on a 'clean' 7mm tube? I have 4 blanks to turn now, and I assume I can't do more than one even on drill rod. However when it comes time to sand/polish them, since I do find some glue residue inside should I 'gang' them on the C rod or try to make them fit the D?
Yes, more than half of my 7mm tubes fit too tight on the "D" rod (larger diameter). Then I drop down to the "C" rod which is only 4 thousandths less in diameter, but that 4-thou makes all the difference. From what I've seen is that the typical "pen mandrel" is usually specified as 0.247 +/- 0.002. which puts it on the high side. - Dave

randyrls

Letter D drill rod works great. And if the mandrel is held with a collet chuck or Jacob's chuck and a mandrel saver of some type in the tail then no threading. Just cut to length and use it. I've not purchased a mandrel in several years.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
This is to the OP; If you use a jacobs chuck and mandrel saver, please use caution. The chuck must have a draw bar to retain it in the head stock. DAMHIKT!

howsitwork

If you use a slocombe drill , centre drill or engineering centre drill ( all the same thing as far as I know ) to form a centre recess in the end of your rod you can hold between a revolving centre and a drive centre or jacobs chuck .

obviosuly dont use too much pressure or the rod will bend but you can do 2 at once for sanding this way .

Don Rabchenuk

This is to the OP; If you use a jacobs chuck and mandrel saver, please use caution. The chuck must have a draw bar to retain it in the head stock. DAMHIKT!
He is using a Shopsmith so the jacobs chuck is held in place with a set screw on a 5/8" shaft with a tapered flat machined into it.

Top Bottom