Your Age & Join Date & post count

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

What is your age?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

edicehouse

I really think there is a direct relationship between age and activity on the site.

The reason being is making pens is generally an older person hobby.

Younger get so distracted and try to find a different forum/website.

These are just my thoughts. Not sure what to do with the data collected, but figure it would be a nice topic/survey.

Please mark how old you are and post your age/join date/ post count.

rd_ab_penman

70 years old
June 01, 2007
1118 + Posts
There is a lot more pen turning activity of FB these days.
A lot of turners are joining and posting in Face Book groups.

Last edited:

stonepecker

Feel like I am 30
Act at times like I am 20
Behave at times like I am 13

Total.......... 63 years old
the rest you can find out.

This NOT an old persons hobby. I personally wish I had found it a lot sooner then I did. For me, turning anything brings out the 'kid' in me. It is something I can do for hours or for a few minutes. It helps me put my mind in a happy place and the troubles fade away. Once I walk out of the shop, I have a fresh outlook on life. It gives me a break from the stress of everyday things and allows me to create something different and new.

Last edited:

walshjp17

walshjp17
John Walsh
Age 71
July 2012
2639 posts

Haven't turned too much in the past couple of years due to health issues but I am able to keep my fingers and jaws moving:biggrin::wink:

wfsteadman

Can you point out the Facebook pages that folks are using for Pen Turning. I have just been using forums but would like to watch many different locations for pen turning

Argo13

This NOT an old persons hobby. I personally wish I had found it a lot sooner then I did. For me, turning anything brings out the 'kid' in me. It is something I can do for hours or for a few minutes. It helps me put my mind in a happy place and the troubles fade away. Once I walk out of the shop, I have a fresh outlook on life. It gives me a break from the stress of everyday things and allows me to create something different and new.

Couldn't agree more!

49 years old
2/17/13
448 post

jttheclockman

Can you point out the Facebook pages that folks are using for Pen Turning. I have just been using forums but would like to watch many different locations for pen turning

Face Book is all about selling blanks. That is all you see there. Everybody and their brother sells blanks. You wonder if there is enough people to make pens for all the blanks available today.

Plus Facebook is so impersonal and each post gets lost so fast because they all move on to the next thing. To me this is the best site to be in the know about pen turning. Just need more members to join in and make believe it is FB. :):):)

edicehouse

Couldn't agree more!

49 years old
2/17/13
448 post

I am not meaning to offend anyone, by saying old person hobby, and I wish I had started in my teens or 20's; however that didn't happen.

This is just to see if my theories are right.

jttheclockman

Couldn't agree more!

49 years old
2/17/13
448 post

I am not meaning to offend anyone, by saying old person hobby, and I wish I had started in my teens or 20's; however that didn't happen.

This is just to see if my theories are right.

You can compare it to this poll:) Always a reason that it is more an older person hobby for obvious reasons. Need funds, not too physical, and time consuming.

www.penturners.org/forum/f17/what-your-age-39589/

jttheclockman

With 3000 new members the last 2 years there should be that many votes here. These are the members that may turn the tide on the age thing because if they do not vote it will be about the same as last time it was taken 2 years ago.

edicehouse

With 3000 new members the last 2 years there should be that many votes here. These are the members that may turn the tide on the age thing because if they do not vote it will be about the same as last time it was taken 2 years ago.

Of those 3000 new members have more than 500 logged on in 2 months?

leehljp

Member Liaison
Began following this site in Nov/Dec of 2004.

I don't get to turn pens as much as I would like. I retired once and I do have 2 other enjoyments - ministry training and flat work.

Ministry training is like a hobby to me, I don't feel like it is work. That takes first place, with some flat work 2nd and pen turning 3rd. I loved pen turning in Japan because I didn't have enough space to do flat work often.

I am getting back to pen turning now.

One last thing: I am enjoying the new and the young people here that challenge old ideas and come up with new ideas. I was talking with my 39 year old daughter last night and she said: "I hate change." It made me think - I love change and new ideas.

Young people, keep bringing it on! Teach us old folks some new ideas. Old people, thank you for what you taught me - and your patience with me. You are appreciated!

Last edited:
Top Bottom