You Be The Judge

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rd_ab_penman

rd_ab_penman

Which on would you prefer as a customer?
The Satin finish with a soft warm wood look and feel or the Gloss finish with a hard cold plastic look and feel?

Les

4B-BlackTitaniumPlatinumRedwoodBurlCustom.jpg

5B-BlackTitniumPlatinumGlossRedwoodBurlCustom.jpg

walshjp17

From a photographic perspective, I prefer the glossy finish. However, from a practical view, I believe the satin finish is much better suited to highly figured woods. The satin finish makes it look like wood.

As an example, I have "walnut burl" features on the dashboard of my car. It is very glossy and plastic feeling. The manufacturer states in its literature that the features are real wood, but my eyes and my fingers see and feel plastic.

I have gone back and forth on the finishing of pens with highly figured timbers. At the moment, my pendulum has swung to the natural/satin finish side, i.e. Pens Plus vs. CA.

Last edited:

Ed McDonnell

I prefer a flawless gloss finish that looks and feels like glass. A gloss finish that looks and feels like plastic is much less attractive to me. Both pens look nice.

Ed

longbeard

Hard to choose one of those Les, they both look great. Maybe if i had them in my hand to feel the difference. I would be happy with either one.

Harry

ChrisN

I like the look of a glossy finish, but I like the feel of satin. Gloss lets you see right down into the wood, but it feels like plastic. Satin feels a whole lot more like wood, but it's not nearly as clear.

Mike GW

Definitely the gloss as far as aesthetic appeal. Satin is often nicer to the touch though. I'm into acoustic guitars and am familiar with the debates on the issue. Guitar luthiers will do a satin finish simply because it is cheaper. Sometimes it might bring out the characteristics of a particular wood or wood grain better, but most of the time a gloss finish will do that best. That is why luthiers most of the time put a gloss finish on the tops, backs, and sides of their guitars. Even the "low end" models of the high end manufactures put a gloss finish on the tops of their "low end" satin back and sides models.

That said it is also interesting to note that these same manufacturers will put a satin finish on the back of the guitar neck (even on the high end models) because it helps the player move their hand up and down the neck easier. A gloss finish on the neck will tend to have a sticky feeling. One point to also make is that the satin finish on the guitar neck glosses after a lot of playing time.

I'm not sure how this all works out with pens, but some points to consider.

ejjenkins

I prefer the look and feel of a satin finish for a wooden pen, the glossy plastic finish on a nice piece of wood just doesn't do it for me. I am probably not the norm on this :)

plano_harry

They are both beautiful work and wood. Overlooking the bias in the question :wink:, I prefer the cold plastic look. But I describe it as a meticulously applied 20 coat finish that is micro polished through 12 progressive steps to a exquisite shine that is harder than woodpecker lips. :biggrin: For the real plastic, I just shine 'em up. Go figure.

If I could try the warm pen I might change my mind.

Harry

robutacion

From a photographic perspective, I prefer the glossy finish. However, from a practical view, I believe the satin finish is much better suited to highly figured woods. The satin finish makes it look like wood.

As an example, I have "walnut burl" features on the dashboard of my car. It is very glossy and plastic feeling. The manufacturer states in its literature that the features are real wood, but my eyes and my fingers see and feel plastic.

I have gone back and forth on the finishing of pens with highly figured timbers. At the moment, my pendulum has swung to the natural/satin finish side, i.e. Pens Plus vs. CA.

The finish used on the wood inside of vehicles, is the liquid glass or liquid gloss, the same thing, both are a 2 part epoxy. I've seen a thickness of 5mm achieve on double coating. Those products are made to be use on a smooth, clean, and natural wood surface (no sealers or primers...!) and as a single coat.

The product is self-leveling therefore, the application has to be make on a perfectly flat/levelled surface/base.

Extremely durable stuff when cure correctly...!

Cheers
George

LeeR

Your question is biased ... :)

I like satin, but sadly, I think most satin finishes are done by using a friction polish (that's the way I started). They are easy to apply, but they look lousy after awhile since they do not hold up to oils/grease/grime from the user's hands. I tend to use a wipe-on poly for my satin finishes now. The downside is that it can take days for it to build up and dry. But I do not sell pens, I just give them away, so I am in no particular hurry to get them done.

I resisted doing CA for a long time, but they finish quickly and they stay looking great for a very long time.

Last edited:

johncrane

SATIN FINISH for me Les! i luv the soft feel of wood and using the CA Satin finish Technique! it will stand up well to everyday use, With the customer they get what they like everyone is different.

Ambidex

I like the gloss. I think that preference may come from all the previous flatwork I've done, I preferred high gloss over satin. And it may be an unproven opinion( as most opinions are:rolleyes: ), but it seems a ca gloss would provide longer wear.

OZturner

Love both Pens Les,
The Satin for Feel,
But Gloss for Appearance, Appeal and Durability.
Also the Gloss usually requires a Finer Finish on the blank, as it Amplifies defects, imperfections and faults..
Brian.

Top Bottom