Worthless Wood Pepper Mill???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jmhoff10500

Has Anyone ever made a WW Pepper mill? I really want to try it, but i would rather not waste a pint of Alumilite if it didn't work out for someone else... Would you be able to cast 2 inch thick Alumilite without it cracking?

P.S. has anyone ever made WW knife scales? i have some awesome cutoffs that i might try to make into some scales...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Yes, I make and sell Worthless Wood knife scales on my website.

As for the Alumilite, I have cast it thicker than 2" with no problems at all.

Jmhoff10500

Cool! Maybe i will have to build me a mold this weekend and try my hand at a 6 inch pepper mill!

Yes, I make and sell Worthless Wood knife scales on my website.

As for the Alumilite, I have cast it thicker than 2" with no problems at all.

Last edited:

jthompson1995

You could save yourself a bunch of waste if you predrill the large hole for the peppermill before casting and fill it with something like delrin to keep from drilling out a lot of the resin you just poured in. With the cost of alumilite, this would save a good bit if there's lots of voids.

Dai Sensei

I have done large banksia cast with resin, not exactly WW, but same principle. I cast them in dia 3" PVC tubes.

Attachments

• Banksia grinder1.jpg
    Banksia grinder1.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 1,324

MoJo

I haven't done it yet but I think it would be great. Another option that I saw at a vendor in Seattle's Pike Place market was close to WW without the cast resin. He had a bunch of buckeye burl pepper mills that were full of open holes and voids. He placed a clear tube down the middle to hold the peppercorns from falling out the holes. These were so beautiful that I came really close to paying $245 for one. If any of the suppliers here have blanks like these I would love to hear from them.

Top Bottom