Worthless Wood Box

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PaulDoug

PaulDoug

I had a piece of wood that was soooo punky I just couldn't hold it together, but it is so pretty I just couldn't give up on it. So, I decided to give a try at casting it. I roughed it out as best I could, made a mold out of a plastic container. I put a small container inside (pill bottle) so I would waste as much Alumilite. Poured it and stuck it in my pressure pot for a few hours. Than I did the same with what was left of the lid. Then I turned it. I ended up with this little plastic box! My wife doesn't like it. I haven't made up my mind yet. No matter it was fun.

Attachments

• IMG_2642s.JPG
    IMG_2642s.JPG
    410.1 KB · Views: 407
  • IMG_2644s.jpg
    IMG_2644s.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_2647S.JPG
    IMG_2647S.JPG
    423.1 KB · Views: 334
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxman400

I really Like that kind of stuff, If you decide you don't like it I'll send you my address and even pay the postage. :wink: LOL.
By The Way Great Job, and A GREAT looking Box. :biggrin:

David Keller

I think it's pretty cool... For some reason, I really like the little clear area at the knob. Nice job.

JohnU

I like it....better yet I Love it! .... so much that I want to go make one for myself. It really shows what that wood has to offer and magnifies the inner wood in the clear areas. A definate WINNER!

Last edited:

PaulDoug

Well thanks for all the nice comments. It is finished by sanding 220 through 600 sand paper and then all the way through with micro mesh, followed by Hut plastic polish and a coat of Res. wax. On the lid I used Brasso for polishing. It seemed to work better than the Hut Plastic Polish. I don't know why.

The shaving mug is a good idea. If I had more of this wood, I make a shaving set out of it.

I like it a lot, what is not to like? I do not see anything wrong with it, it is beautiful and the clear on the handle just ads character. You have garbage wood into functional one of kind art.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Besides the wild grain pattern, the thing that also caught my eye was the clear knob. I can't explain it but that part is really cool. I think it would have been spoilt ( spoiled?) if you had used coloured resin.

Beautifully done:cool:

Top Bottom