Seam Ripper in Cocobolo. 1st of 20

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ruby pen turning

just recieved my order of 20 rippers and made this one out of Cocobolo. I decided to make it like my pens and give it the glue treatment (10 coats) and 7 Mauve mica inlays.
The ripper is just pressed in so it can be yanked out when it gets dull.
And comments good/bad always welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_4741.JPG
    IMG_4741.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_4742.JPG
    IMG_4742.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_4744.JPG
    IMG_4744.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 204
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kevrob

Nicely done. I was going to make a few tomorrow and was wondering what to use for a finish since I didn't have any lacquer like is suggested in the tutorial. Thanks for sharing your pictures and finishing method.

Drcal

Brian,

That is a great looking piece.
How did you mount the blank for the ripper on the lathe?

I haven't tried it yet and was curious.
Carmen

first I made it round to fit in my collet chuck then drilled the required holes. Then I used my 60 degree live center on the drilled end and chucked it back in my collet and shaped it ( there was some to be parted off which was in the collet chuck). Then I sanded it all and parted it off and fit it onto a home made mandrel out of scrap wood (turned to fit the hole drilled for the ripper)
Ther has got to be a better way, but it worked for my first one.

Rangertrek

Brian, nice work on the ripper. Just don't get carried away on putting too much detail into them if you plan to sell them. If I spend more than 20 minutes on one, my profit take a hit. Sell most of mine for $10-$12, plain woods, simple design. I do use a good ca finish on all of them.

Top Bottom