World's largest pen blank!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rmartin

Rmartin

OK, maybe not. But It's certainly the largest I've turned on my Jet mini.

Started with a 4" x 4" of red oak and ended with 3 1/2" round.

It's 28" long!

I have about 5 more to make for the piece I just started, and it needs to be cut in half lenght ways. I'm going to need to make some kind of jig to cut it on my bandsaw.

Attachments

• oakRnd.jpg
    oakRnd.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 255
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

VisExp

Looks like you did a nice job keeping the diameter the same the whole length.

A suggestion that might save you cutting them in half on the bandsaw. Turn the pieces using a paper joint. Glue two pieces each 2 x 2" together but with a piece of kraft brown paper between them. The joint will be strong enough to hold together during turning but once you have rounded the piece, a sharp tap with a chisel will split the two apart at the paper joint yielding two semi circular pieces.

Russianwolf

Hint: cut them while still square and glue back together with a sheet of paper between them. You be able to split them apart later on the paper line with a sharp chisel.

Rmartin

I hear what you're saying about using a divider between the two pieces. I had thought of using carpet tape between the two pieces with a round piece screwed to each end to hold them together while turning, but I was afraid I would not get the pieces dead center when turning and the two halves would be different sizes. I was able to get it lined up right on the center line, so maybe I will try the paper glue up on the next one.

I can tell you it was a bit scary turning on the lathe for the first time. I uesd a long stick while standing way back and to the side.:biggrin:

Top Bottom