Peppermill problems

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from omb76

omb76

Okay, so I thought that I would be "clever" and try and speed up the drill process on this peppermill by drilling a hole through to clear out most of the wood, then go back and use the forstner bit to finish it up. Well, not such a good idea as the forstner bit now has nothing to guide it when I try and drill it out so it wanders all over the place. Luckily I have not damaged the sides of the mill thus far, and can sand out the bottom once I figure out how to fix this. The wood is Macassar Ebony so I really hate that I chose this expensive of a wood to try this.

Can anyone give some suggestions to how I can complete this drilling so I don't waste the wood?

Attachments

• CIMG1272.jpg
    CIMG1272.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 128
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

johnnycnc

plug the hole with a length of wooden dowel, 1-2" long.
your forstner bit will then have a solid blank to start in.
once it is beyond this plug, the flutes on the forstner and the hole it
has drilled should pilot it through for you.

leehljp

Member Liaison
The plug as mentioned above works great. An alternative method for future reference is to use forstner bits on the lathe for "turned items". I turned a couple of blanks for Starbucks hot/cold mugs and swapped the plastic outer case for wooden ones. Drilled them with forstner on the lathe. However I did do what you did - drilled the first hole with 1/2 inch and then started the Forstner. No problem when done that way on the lathe.

Last edited:
Top Bottom