Working on my bucket list...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TimS124

I wanted an easy way to bring a few turning tools and related items with me when I teach the wood lathe class at a local makerspace. Eons ago, when I took my first turning class, the instructor had his tools in a 5-gallon bucket filled with chunks of PVC pipes to keep the tools from banging their cutting edges into each other (and generally keep the mess organized).

I didn't feel like using PVC pipe so I whipped up a simpler version and cut it on a ShopBot (CNC router)... Just two discs of plywood with a series of holes sprinkled around to hold tools. (yes, this could easily be done with a bandsaw and a couple forester bits but it was also a convenient excuse to use the 'Bot).

A smaller disc was wedged in first and sits about 1/3rd of the way up from the bottom. Then, a larger disc (shown on the right hand side of the photo) was wedged into the bucket about 1/3rd of the way from the top.

Both discs have the same 7 holes cut into them. The lower disc keeps the tools' cutting edges from banging together and the upper disc supports the handles.

The center hole is a teeny bit undersized (oops). It was supposed to hold an oversized roughing gouge which will have to wait until I get around to recutting that hole an 1/8" or so larger diameter. For now, it works fine for holding one of my mallets' handle so it's not a total loss.

The bucket was less than three bucks and the plywood I used was scrap….so this counts as cleaning up my garage (using scraps) and my shop (organizing tools). :)

Attachments

• Turning Tool Bucket Aug 2014.jpg
    Turning Tool Bucket Aug 2014.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 194

TimS124

The bucket worked great this evening! I slipped a few extras between the tools, hung my face shield off the taller tool handles...worked great! Best $3 organizer ever...

Top Bottom