dewalt 735 or makita 2012

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dansills

looking for advice on the best portable planer with mobile stand I can buy. I think I have narrowed it down to these two but want to make sure. Any advice?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

twinsen

Is this even a question?

Dewalt 735: customizable positive stops, 13 inches, longer support, 2 speeds, fan assisted chip ejection.

Makita 2012: blue

Rchan63

I have the 735 and it's a great planer(IMHO), but make sure you get the in feed and out feed tables. It tends to have little less prone to snipping with the tables. Weather it the best or not I cannot answer that question.

kovalcik

I can highly recommend the 735. The only negatives that I can think of are:
1) Very noisy, mostly due to the chip ejection fan. But any planer will require hearing protection, so no real issue.
2) Originally the knives were very fragile. A single knot would put a notch in hte knives. The latest ones I bought have lasted much longer, so maybe this is no longer an issue.

My only other recommendation is don't use your dust collector with it. It will fill up in no time. I bought the adapter they sell to direct the output into a garbage can. It is much easier to empty than my dust collector bag.

I cannot comment on the Makita. Have not seen or used it and don't know anyone who has. I know a few others that have the 735.

MichaelD

I liked my Delta at a much cheaper price but that's not what you asked. The 735 is wonderful especially connected to a garbage can collector. I wouldn't go back to the Delta. Never tried the other one. Definitely not Ridgid.

Steel City has a very nice 12" planer and it has the carbide indexable head. MUCH quieter! Very fast and easy to change the cutters, just like your carbide tools! Also, a lot cheaper.

twinsen

Steel City has a very nice 12" planer and it has the carbide indexable head. MUCH quieter! Very fast and easy to change the cutters, just like your carbide tools! Also, a lot cheaper.

I think you are talking about the 13 "helical" head version. #1.the steel city planer is manufactured by the same company as rigid. 2. it's strait cutter, not helical.

Is quieter though.

jfoh

I have the 735 and am very happy with it. Found it on Craigslist for 400, like new in the box, with in and out tables and an extra set of unused knives plus four which had been used but not sharpened. Ran many thousands of board feet through it. I sharpen the knives on my Tormek and they last a decent amount of time. If a knife gets a nick I keep using it for rough planning. Then when I want a better surface, a finished smooth surface, I just flip one of the knives. That eliminates the chip area of the knives lining up so what one misses the other cleans up. Seems obvious but most people just replace both chipped knives. Extra work and then you have two knives to sharpen or worse four with the next nick.

I do use a dust collector off the back end. I have a old Jet DC that was sitting around after it was replace by a mustard yellow one so I hooked it up. You do have to empty the bag frequently but the chip and dust all being caught at the source makes it worth the effort. I use the stuff for mulch around flowers and trees.

If you put yours on a mobile base make sure it is fairly solid. The planer is a lot of weight. I love moving mine outside in nice weather. Hook up the dust collector and go. All rough planning is done on the fast in-feed speed. I only use the slow in-feed speed for finish work. Adjustments are very good and knife changing is a snap.

Top Bottom