Woodcraft selfcentering chuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Anyone using one of these? I am getting a new to me Nova 3000 tomorrow and am looking for a capable chuck. I was considering the Supernova2 but then saw that the woodcraft chuck was on sale for about half the price. Any comments on this chuck?

Thanks,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

Originally posted by ranchonodinero

Anyone using one of these? I am getting a new to me Nova 3000 tomorrow and am looking for a capable chuck. I was considering the Supernova2 but then saw that the woodcraft chuck was on sale for about half the price. Any comments on this chuck?

Thanks,

It also looks like the PSI Utility Chuck. I had one and liked it (went with my old lathe). However, I'd drop a few extra bucks and order one of these from Ryan at Woodturningz. I have one of these and the Baracuda 4 and love them both.;)

BigShed

AFAIK the Nova 3000 was made with either a 1 1/4" headstock spindle or a 30mmx3.5, yours being US would probaby be the 1 1/4".

This would rule out the above chuck on Ebay and the Barracuda as they are both 1"x8.

Your best bet would be a Nova or Vicmark chuck with insert to match your headstock spindle. The advantage of these inserts is that when you change your lathe you can keep your chuck and just get a new insert.

Edit:

Just had a look at the Woodcraft chuck, it takes inserts as well and at $69 seems a very good buy!

I would be curious to see how the woodcraft chuck compares to the teknatools Supernova2. I already have one of the teknatools chucks that I use with my jet mini. The quality of the Nova G3 I received was excellent (New Zealand mfr).

Here is the biggest difference and possibly the reason the Supernova2 is the better of the two-albeit a much more expensive alternative-ONE hand operation. The woodcraft chuck requires 2 hands in order to tighten the jaws while the Supernova2 only requires one. I looked at them and may keep it-the price (while on sale) is very good. I did order one of the Supernova2 while they are on-sale.

eazis1

i have one from Tool America from ebay listing. bought for the $49+ shipping. have it for 3 months works fine. it has a little longer teeth grip than the psi barracuda 2 which i have also.

Top Bottom