Bandsaw Question ~ Opinion wanted

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rccrazybill

My trusty old delta band saw finally crapped out on me. It wasn't a great one but it served me well on many wood working projects over the last few years. I want to go buy a new one this week but it seems the choices are endless. What is a good quality saw for under about $750.00 I really don't want to spend more right now but I need a decent one. Woodcraft has a JET 14" Closed base saw for $599.99 right now and a 14" saw is perfect for me. What do you all think about that one ? What are some other good one you all would recommend.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sparhawk

I just got a ridgid from home depot. 14" open leg stand but almost identical to the jet. As a matter of fact the riser for the jet fits the ridgid. Was $360 with a 3 year warranty and if you sign up on thier site when you register they give you a lifetime warranty.Has been a great saw(only had it about 3 months)and i have been through 3 bladessince im cutting up everything around the house i can get my hands on.Those nails and bowling balls are hell on a blade.;)I would recommend it . Also if something does happen to it i dont have to send it back in the mail and also there is a repair center about 50 miles away that i can take it to.

Gary Max

Bought one for the wife at Christmas----for the money---good saw

20084220543_saw2.jpg

zhogrider

Hey Bill I agree with Rick & karl I own the grizzley GO555X just a bit bigger than the 555 it offers a 1 1/2 horse motor vs the 1 hp of the 555 and it has an enclosed base that adds about 65 lbs to the machine and helps steady it. Also it comes with a goose neck light and quick release blade tension all for about 575.00 also either model offers u an extension riser block of 6" for 60 bucks.
I have been well pleased with mine. Think you will be also with either of these u choose. Hope this helps u out.

hughbie

about 2 months ago, i bought the Grizzly G0555. i LOVE it!. cast iron table, bearing guides, tension quick release.....the measurement guide for the rip fence is dead on!
i will be getting the riser soon...i know i will.
it's 14" and perfect for anything i throw at it!

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by zhogrider

Hey Bill I agree with Rick & karl I own the grizzley GO555X just a bit bigger than the 555 it offers a 1 1/2 horse motor vs the 1 hp of the 555 and it has an enclosed base that adds about 65 lbs to the machine and helps steady it. Also it comes with a goose neck light and quick release blade tension all for about 575.00 also either model offers u an extension riser block of 6" for 60 bucks.
I have been well pleased with mine. Think you will be also with either of these u choose. Hope this helps u out.

I have been using my G0555 daily for seven years. In fairness, I should point out that there has never been a "steady" problem with mine. It comes with a "quick release blade tension" feature.
I'm not doubting extra weight is good and a light would be handy. But do consider the extra cost vs. regular model. e.g. A magnetic base lamp can be purchased for about $20.00. I will admit that, at times with thick hard-hardwoods, extra hp would be welcome.

sbell111

For a few dollars more, you can get a Shop Fox W1706. It's basically the same saw with cast iron wheels instead of aluminum and a cabinet base.

rccrazybill

Thanks for all the feedback , Going to order the GO555X tomorrow afternoon. Looks like a great saw and I read all the reviews online. Seems to be the best bang for the buck.:D

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by rccrazybill

Thanks for all the feedback , Going to order the GO555X tomorrow afternoon. Looks like a great saw and I read all the reviews online. Seems to be the best bang for the buck.:D

You won't regret it. Do read all instructions and, if you are inexperienced with bandsaws, as I was when I got mine, be patient and fully understand what is being said before making adjustments.

rccrazybill

I ordered it from Grizzly Ind's web. Price for the GO555X with freight was only $671.00 plus a few more toys for it came to a bit over $900 . That was in my price range and I needed the extra stuff ( Thats my story and I'm sticking with it[}:)]) , The saw looks like a great machine and I can't wait until it arrives!! Thanks all for the input~

Rifleman1776

I ordered it from Grizzly Ind's web. Price for the GO555X with freight was only $671.00 plus a few more toys for it came to a bit over $900 . That was in my price range and I needed the extra stuff ( Thats my story and I'm sticking with it[}:)]) , The saw looks like a great machine and I can't wait until it arrives!! Thanks all for the input~

It is a real grunt to lift the main unit onto the base. Seven years ago, I did it alone. Not sure I could do today. Best to have help available for the lifting part.

rccrazybill

I had a severe back injury back in 1995 so I basically can't lift anything heavier than 50 pounds without being in pain. It even hurts me when i stand at the lathe , I was looking into buying the One Way sit down lathe until I saw it was over $5,000 :DOne Way "One Day" the good thing is both my sisters are married !! I will be giving them a call when the saw arrives. They owe me enough~~ It looks heavy in the pictures, I can't wait to try it out.

CrazyBear

Originally posted by Rifleman1776

It is a real grunt to lift the main unit onto the base. Seven years ago, I did it alone. Not sure I could do today. Best to have help available for the lifting part.

Hi guys I just treated myself to the Record RSBS14 which weighs in at 88 kilos. As for getting it onto the base I laid the saw on its back and attached the base. I then tilted it back onto its feet. It worked for me so it is a suggestion as to how you might manage yours when doing it solo.

PS
I had a heart attack last August so my wife was not impressed with my feat of strength[:I][:I][:I]

sbell111

I had a severe back injury back in 1995 so I basically can't lift anything heavier than 50 pounds without being in pain. It even hurts me when i stand at the lathe , I was looking into buying the One Way sit down lathe until I saw it was over $5,000 :DOne Way "One Day" the good thing is both my sisters are married !! I will be giving them a call when the saw arrives. They owe me enough~~ It looks heavy in the pictures, I can't wait to try it out.
I feel your pain. Thanks to a drunk driver, I had rods and screws installed a couple years ago and am often reminded that my spine is not as it once was.

I am lucky that my shop is in my garage. when we brought the new bandsaw home, I was able to back up the truck very close to where the lathe was to be placed. I positioned the cabinet right behind the truck and levered the saw onto it. Once it was bolted down, it was moved relatively easily with a hand truck. The entire process was much easier (and less painful) than I feared.

Top Bottom