Wood with History

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Califo

Hi everyone, I have a question in authenticating a piece of walnut. Recently, my brother, a carpenter, was called for a restauration job and turns out that the job he had to perform was to restore and old walnut door on Beacon St. in Boston. For those of you not familiar with Beacon St, Beacon St is the most prestigious residential location in Boston and where all the Brownstone homes locate dating back to the Civil War era. It is also a section of Boston not affected by the Great Boston Fire.

Anyway, part of the restoration process, my brohehad to cut 1" from the bottom of the double doors due to damage and instead of trashing it, he gave it to me. After digging around, turns out that this home was built during the mid 1800's. Though there isn't much history connected to the family that built and lived there, though I think they may be connected to councilmen of Boston in the late 1700s to early 1800s, it was nice to acquire an old piece of history from a city that helped shape our country.

My question is: If I wanted to create some certificates, what would be the process? I know people buy items based on belief but I wouldn't want to sell a story and have customers doubt any credibility. Pen making is a hobby for me and I would like to give people a piece of wood that may contain more history behind than what I have so far. My plan was to authenticate the location of the wood and have people have fun and dig their own research and see how far they can get with it.

You thoughts are greatly appreciated

P.S. one of the pieces has a rusted old nail through it. My plan is to turn around it and save the integrity of the wood so that the nail will show on the pen.

Thanks everyone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

triw51

"P.S. one of the pieces has a rusted old nail through it. My plan is to turn around it and save the integrity of the wood so that the nail will show on the pen."

Would you leave the nail in or just the rusty area around where the nail is?

Califo

I plan on saving the rusty area and the wear around it, then fill it with CA. We'll see what happens. This wood has taken some damage and I will have to go slowly. It should be fun.

low_48

Unless that piece of paper is created and certified by an independent third party, it's just a piece of paper that tells a story. Personally, I wouldn't pay more for a piece of walnut trimmed off a door. A door at the White House, or from Paul Revere's front door? Another story. It will be a good way to start a conversation, but not for the value.

Califo

Unless that piece of paper is created and certified by an independent third party, it's just a piece of paper that tells a story. Personally, I wouldn't pay more for a piece of walnut trimmed off a door. A door at the White House, or from Paul Revere's front door? Another story. It will be a good way to start a conversation, but not for the value.

Like I said, I am not trying to scam anyone by charging for a pen made of walnut but using it as a fun piece of POTENTIAL history and have some symbolic value. Honestly, I give my pens away and do not make a profit on the ones I sell. Anyone could walk around Boston and pick up the trash after a snow storm and market as the historic Boston Noreaster, if need be. With all the construction going on in around Boston, you could have a piece of the Big Dig, John Hancock, USS Constitution Pier, etc.

You sure are missing the point here.

Magicbob

When I see Certs of Authenticity I am reminded of a quote from Abraham Lincoln "You can only believe about 1/2 of the quotes you find on the internet."
See what I mean.
I would just tell a great story unless the wood has "Real Providence"

Notscottish

Your audience would be someone really interested in Boston history and not an "investment grade" type. If it were me, I would create the certificate, add a picture of the door in place and tell a story about the location based on a little research on when and who built the house and maybe who might have lived there.

Any local history buff would love something like that.

low_48

Like I said, I am not trying to scam anyone by charging for a pen made of walnut but using it as a fun piece of POTENTIAL history and have some symbolic value. Honestly, I give my pens away and do not make a profit on the ones I sell. Anyone could walk around Boston and pick up the trash after a snow storm and market as the historic Boston Noreaster, if need be. With all the construction going on in around Boston, you could have a piece of the Big Dig, John Hancock, USS Constitution Pier, etc.

You sure are missing the point here.

I thought you said our thoughts would be greatly appreciated?

Top Bottom