Wood Bowl #2

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drewboy22

Drewboy22

This is my Second bowl... Wood is Maple - height is ~2.5" - Width is ~5"

Pic progression is from start to finish.

IMG_0260_zps6laamsxf.jpg

IMG_0261_zpsfvw4dkm2.jpg

IMG_0264_zpssf8lj1q0.jpg

IMG_0267_zpsow21z2sf.jpg

IMG_0268_zps2qx3wvfo.jpg

IMG_0270_zpss1astufu.jpg

IMG_0271_zps3ozsrqml.jpg

IMG_0274_zpshjbdqcau.jpg

IMG_0275_zps8ylber5l.jpg

IMG_0276_zpsuhdfv4jx.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alankulwicki7

Nice job! Especially for your second one!

A couple of tips for you:

Use a fine tip market for artists (Pigma is the brand I use) for signing your work. It won't bleed like a regular sharpie.

Also, make sure you leave a little dish on the bottom of the bowl. This will help keep the bowl from rocking if it warps in the future.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 174

Drewboy22

Very nice job....especially for bowl #2!
Soon you will want to be turning 10" bowls!

LOL, the bigger the better right :biggrin: Thanks for the comment

Nice job! Especially for your second one!

A couple of tips for you:

Use a fine tip market for artists (Pigma is the brand I use) for signing your work. It won't bleed like a regular sharpie.

Also, make sure you leave a little dish on the bottom of the bowl. This will help keep the bowl from rocking if it warps in the future.

Hope this helps!

Thank you, I will look around for those markers.

Rick_G

Looks better than my second one. Keep at it. Another source for a pen that won't bleed is an Archival ink pen available at Michaels. Works well as long as you put it on the wood before adding any finish. Found they will still smear if you add the finish first though.

Drewboy22

Looks better than my second one. Keep at it. Another source for a pen that won't bleed is an Archival ink pen available at Michaels. Works well as long as you put it on the wood before adding any finish. Found they will still smear if you add the finish first though.

Thanks for the comment. I am going to look into some archival pens and maybe a burner in the future.

MDWine

I was going to suggest a wood burner to sign/date your work.
While it takes a bit of practice, it is a very nice "woodworker" way to finish things.

With some work, you can actually "sign" it (not just print your name), which is classy.

Additionally, I would steer you away from the cheap "solder-stick" looking tools and suggest one with a variable temperature capability. "Colwood" and "Razortip" come to mind, and there are many others. (Mine is a Razortip)

I have only a little experience with those 'stick type' burners, but they offer no temp control. I find this most useful with different hardness of wood, and prevents over-burning or charring.

I use a burner to sign my carvings, and you certainly can get into a setup for $75 or less. A bit of searching and you can possibly find a sale or discount somewhere.

If you're interested in more info, check out Lora Irish's site (http://www.lsirish.com/).

Just a suggestion, probably more than you cared to know, certainly worth every cent you paid for it! :bulgy-eyes:

OH, and a very nice bowl, by the way! Nice work!

Last edited:

Drewboy22

Great little bowl especially for your second one! Nice design and finish too...BTW...Great last name (i.e.; Harris)! ;>)!!!

I was going to suggest a wood burner to sign/date your work.
While it takes a bit of practice, it is a very nice "woodworker" way to finish things.

With some work, you can actually "sign" it (not just print your name), which is classy.

Additionally, I would steer you away from the cheap "solder-stick" looking tools and suggest one with a variable temperature capability. "Colwood" and "Razortip" come to mind, and there are many others. (Mine is a Razortip)

I have only a little experience with those 'stick type' burners, but they offer no temp control. I find this most useful with different hardness of wood, and prevents over-burning or charring.

I use a burner to sign my carvings, and you certainly can get into a setup for $75 or less. A bit of searching and you can possibly find a sale or discount somewhere.

If you're interested in more info, check out Lora Irish's site (http://www.lsirish.com/).

Just a suggestion, probably more than you cared to know, certainly worth every cent you paid for it! :bulgy-eyes:

OH, and a very nice bowl, by the way! Nice work!

Thanks for the comments and info on the burners. One day i would not mind getting into wood burning.

Charlie_W

My Wifey is the pyrographer in the family. She is my signer for my work. My handwriting talents still haven't appeared. I turn....she burns!
She uses a small ball tip on her burner pen without too much heat and does a wonderful job of writing cursive!

Top Bottom