Wolverine Skew Grind Attachment??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
I have a grinder and wolverine jig all setup and it works great. I ordered a hurricane 3/4" oval skew the other day and now I'm wondering if I should get the skew grind attachment to keep it sharp. Does anyone here have this jig and what do you think? Thaadvance for your help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Dan, I didn't get the skew jig with my Wolverine. I just use the platform and sharpen by hand when they need a little grinding. I use a diamond stone to touch up between sharpening on the grinder.
You can add a piece of tape on the platform to mark your angle.

randyrls

Dan; I sharpen my skews to have a flat or convex bevel. Convex bevel is slightly less sharp than the flat grind. A concave bevel (grinding wheel shape) makes the skew more "grabby".

Wildman

I have never used an oval skew, but sharpen traditional skews free hand. Not sure why bought that Wolverine skew jig years ago. Just could not get good results with it!

low_48

I have one, don't like it. I use a platform for my flat skew because I like a slight arc across the cutting edge. I also have a Sorby 3/4 oval skew and sharpen it on the side of the wheel for a flat grind. You have all that flat surface of the bevel to feel on the wheel, no rocking problem for me.

greggas

I seem to be in the minority here but I like the skew attachment. I use my skew more and more each year and I find it helpful to have a uniform grind every time I sharpen for all of my tools.

Fay Prozora

I have that skew and the flat one but not the delivering attachment. I haven't mastered the skew so it will be awhile before I get one. True to bolt down the grinder yesterday but not a bolt to be had in the shop so will have to go get some. Good luck with what you decide to get . Fay

wyone

I bought the Skew jig today. I used it this afternoon. I like it a lot so far. I think it is overpriced, but it literally is a one minute installation. I have been sharpening by eye and hand and well, this gives me a really nice uniform edge. And it takes 5 seconds on each side to touch up the edge once I got the grind uniform on the skew.

I would buy it again

Top Bottom