Wolverine Jig

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JAB1

To those of you that have experience with the Wolverine Sharpening jig......is this an effective, cost effective system?....I am having trouble hand holding my tools and getting a good, sharp edge.....I have heard that this system works well for the money....( 79.00 with free shipping at Woodcraft).....what are your thoughts?[?]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jimwill48

Its a great system, I think one of the best..make sure you get the Vari-Grind also if you have any fingernail ground gouges. If you have both bowl and spindle finger nail grind gouges I would suggest getting two (2) vari-grinds so you can set up one for bowl gouges and one for spindle gouges, once they are set you will not need to change them and need to re- find the correct settings.

James

Wildman

I spent bout $170 for almost complete Wolverine set up, didn't come with skew jig, back in 1997. While can sharpen with out too many facets free hand, like the ability to get the same bevel every time. Depending upon piece of wood working on may return to the grinder several times before completion. I have only one Vari Grind thingy and it's pretty easy and fast to adjust.

jdoug5170

I'm recently reborn to this whole turning thing and having a ball. One of the things I realized coming back to making pens, I like the plastics a whole lot. The other thing I realized, I don't know a thing about making my tools sharp. Heck, I have trouble sharpening a pencil with a pencil sharpner!

So, after much research and consideration, and being on a very tight budget, I went for the wolverine and a slow speed, dry, grinder. WOW, sharp tools do make a diff!

I'm extremely pleased with the wolverine system and the instructions that came with, even on DVD and boy, can I watch TV! I don't have experience with other systems, but for my money today, this works.

Doug

Aderhammer

All i did was to make a base for the grinder out of mdf and bolted it to this. Then i put 2 pieces of 1/4"-20 coming up under the one wheel, took another long piece of mdf and routed a 1/4" slot in it and put the slot around the threaded rods. Put wing nuts and fender washers to hold this base down and made a v block. Same thing as the arm on the wolverine, alot cheaper. Throw in a vari grind and you're set!

markgum

I tried the free-hand sharpening route on a high speed grinder.. Took a sharpening class at woodcraft. Read everything I could find on sharpening I even thought about making my own via a 'You - tube video'. Think he wants a few $$ for the plan. here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCVqWR1FcM0

I went back to woodcraft picked up their slow speed grinder the wolverine system and vari-grind. well, worth the $$. have it close to the lathe set it up for the roughing gouge; turn some; and when it gets a little dull; step over to the grinder and in less than 2 minutes I'm back on the lathe with a razor sharp tool. One of the best investments I have made.

jack barnes

When I first started turning I made a jig from plans, I beleave that as posted on this set. I finally got the Wolverine and IMO the home made one did just as good as the Wolverine.

Jack

PaulDoug

i have a homemade version. cost me nothing. works real well. if i decide to spend money on sharpenung i will go the wet grinding route

Chasper

Accordign to the FedEx tracking code, a new Delta slow speed grinder is arriving today, the Wolverine jig with skew attachment arrived earlier in the week, I watched the DVD this morning. Bulding a base, putting it together and getting sharp tools for the first time ever is the weekend project. New <s>toys</s> tools are always fun, but now I've got almost $200 more tied up in <s>toys</s> tools, and I'll spend most of the weekend getting everything set up. If I wasn't working on this I could be spending the weekend making 20 pens that I would eventually sell for about $800.

I still want a device that looks a lot like an electric pencil sharpener. I want to poke a dull tool point in there for about 20 seconds and pull it out sharp. If anyone has plans to invent, manufacturer and market such a tool....keep me on your future customer list please.

kent4Him

They work fine on many of your tools and I liked mine, but the vari-grind would not accommodate my smaller pen gouges, so I went with the Tormek. I might get another regular slow speed some day for shaping, but I am very happy with the tormek. The funny thing is now that I mainly use my skew, I could have gone either way.

ctwxlvr

I still want a device that looks a lot like an electric pencil sharpener. I want to poke a dull tool point in there for about 20 seconds and pull it out sharp. If anyone has plans to invent, manufacturer and market such a tool....keep me on your future customer list please.

they have one, it is the Worksharp 3000 works great.....

for flat, square, single edge tools it is as simple as stick it in a hole and out comes a scary sharp tool ....

for us(turners, carvers) though it takes some patience to use and practice, practice, practice.

would love if some one made a set of jigs for this sharpener as I like its results (when I get the angle right dagnibit)

Top Bottom