Tool Gloat??? or maybe just a huge PITA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jskeen

Found this old monstrosity literally sitting out by a barn down the road at a garage sale. Quill turned but the pinion was locked up tight so I took a chance for 10 bucks. Farmer even helped me load it in the van! :D

2008527204345_drillpress.jpg

200852720451_drillpress2.jpg

200852720462_drillpress3.jpg

Did a little web digging and this looks to have been made somewhere in the early 60's and specs say it has over 4 inches of travel. So, it should be good for something.

Anyway a good nights soak with wd 40 and a little disassembly got everything free and working pretty well, and the 1/2 horse dayton motor actually turned out to work fine with a total rewire. Now I just gotta make it pretty.

Only real problem is that some Einstein lost the table at some point. Anybody got a spare 2.5 inch DP table or collar laying around? If not I guess I could just fabricate one out of wood at some point. Might be an interesting project. How would one make a custom penmakers DP table? (short of mounting a PH vise on it:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hughbie

james, it looks like wayyyyyy too much work for what little you'll get out of it. might i offer my services next time i'm down that way (i live in southwest missouri) to pick it up and take it off your hands. knowing that there is no table and all that rust....i won't even charge you for the trouble.:D:D:D:D:D

markgum

let me check out the DP I'm using for a door stop tonight and let you know it's size of the table and collar. If you want to remove the rust there is this stuff called Evaporust that works great. below are some before and after pics of the band saw table after letting it soak overnight. The web site for the stuff is:

http://www.evaporust.com/

tn_band%20saw%20table.jpg

tn_SNC11137.jpg

markgum

the collar measures 1 3/4 inside and 2/1/2 outside. The table is 6 1/2 x 6 1/2. If this will work for you let me know; and I'll ship it your way.

jskeen

Mark;

Thanks for the offer and going to the trouble to check. The diameter of the pipe on this thing is 2.5 inches, so I assume that would need to be the ID of the table collar. Appreciate it anyway.

James

Firefyter-emt

Frank, better bet he can visit my site at http://www.yankeetoys.org/lee/electrolysis.htm and get a good idea. ;)

Spurger is a good drill press, nice find even if its a bit rough. Measure the tube and keep your eye's open. Many drill press table will fit onto the tube. For now you can build a wood "box" to bolt to the bottom foot and use that. Make it fit "most" uses and raise it with blocks of wood to gain height if needed.

Top Bottom