Wolverine Base Cam Locking Levers question.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

oneleggimp

Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan 48230 United States o
I just got my newly acquire Rikon Slow Speed 8" Grinder and Wolverine Sharpening jig set up earlier this week. I am very happy with it and appreciate everyone's help in answering my questions in the process. Please indulge me with another question:

When you are not using the jig and have the v-arm and platforms in the bases, do you leave the cam locking arms (red covered levers) in the "locked" position or do you loosen them up? Just wondering what is everyone's practice in this regard.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fay Prozora

It depends on what tool I'm using at the time. I'll sharpen the tool and leave the arm out where I had it when I sharpened the first time so I wouldn't have to reset it if I need to sharpen again. After I'm done in the shop them I slide the arm in all the way and leave the locking arms unlocked. I hear tell those cams can wear out. So I lock it down only when I'm using it.

JimB

I've always left mine in the locked position with the V-arm and platform in the last position I used. This way if I need to sharpen the same tool again it is already set. I leave it this way even if I will not be back in the shop for days or weeks. When I remember I sharpen the last tool a final time before moving anything.

From what i can tell, leaving it in the locked position has not effected the performance.

oneleggimp

That is exactly what prompted the question, Fay. Like you, I've left the set-up locked in place while I'm turning but was more concerned about when I'm NOT turning. There are days when I don't turn at all. When I have a funeral to Sound TAPS for a Veteran, I am gone for quite awhile between travel time, waiting for the funeral to arrive and travel time home. OR days we go grocery shopping or have doctor's appointments so I think I will keep the levers unlocked because the cams apparently DO wear out and I want to avoid that as much as possible.

Last edited:

Fay Prozora

My raptor angle guides came today so now it really doesn't matter what setting I had it on when I'm turning. All I have to do is put the guide to the grinding wheel and reset the V arm and I'm off to the races. I got all 5 of them and I can't wait to try them out. I will still leave the handles unlocked while I'm away from the lathe. A person on another forum gave me the idea of marking on the handles of the tools the bevel angle and what tool it is so that will help me a lot too. All I would have to do is look at the tool and see what angle it is and have at it. I think these guides are going to help an old bag like me.... HeeeHeee... Fay

JimB

Fay - you will like them a lot. Once I go the hang of holding the raptor and tightening the cam at the same time it became very quick and easy, and more importantly very accurate in repeating the distance. I really like them.

low_48

The cams wear out? Gosh, that's news to me. I just wonder how long it takes since mine are probably over 20 years old. Leave them locked. I would really like to meet anyone that has worn these out.

oneleggimp

The cams wear out? Gosh, that's news to me. I just wonder how long it takes since mine are probably over 20 years old. Leave them locked. I would really like to meet anyone that has worn these out.

I think I got the idea from a youtube video on sharpening using the wolverine jig. I think (but am not absolutely sure) that it was from a three part presentation from Woodcraft Seattle. The presenter made a remark about not pushing too hard on the locking lever because the cams can wear out. Again I watched a lot of different youtube videos on the Wolverine and am not absolutelly certain as to which video it was. It WAS mentioned about cam wearing out so that prompted my concern and that of Fay.

Fay Prozora

Actually it was a video that was made in Spokane Wa. They of course were having a show or a wood working class on the use of the Wolverine sharpening system and the man had said not to over tighten the system and said that they do wear out. It is a two or three part video but I don't remember who had made it. I think the man's first name is Bob but I can't recall the last name. He must have had a stroke at one time as his hand was shaking quite badly but it was a great presentation of the system and all... So that is where I got it from... I think I will like the raptor guides. There are folks who make their own guides and they all seem to work well for sharpening. I did have plan on making some sort of spacers and such, but I had no luck on that.. I will make a few stick out jigs tho .... Fay

low_48

I'll still stand on my personal experience that you can't wear these out. There is so little friction between the cam and the bars, they just isn't any wear. I've used that system a lot! I teach other turners how to sharpen all the time, even paid to teach at the Peoria Woodcraft. I would believe that if it is abused, for an extended time, that you could damage it, but I'll never believe that you can use it so much that it wears out. Like I said, I've used it a lot for over 20 years.

eajacobson

I'm in the camp that they likely won't wear out in any of our lifetimes, but _if_ they do, is it due to the tension on the cams, or the action of the cams? If I had to wager, I would say it would be the action, so the more times you lock and unlock them, the faster they are going to wear. Set them and leave them would seem to be a prescription for longer life.

Now, over tightening is another matter. I could see some distortion possible, if someone were to really pull on them, but it should be obvious that the cam is tight enough long before any possible damage might occur.

Ed

oneleggimp

Fay

That is Exactly the video I saw and was referring to.:biggrin: Let us know which Raptor guides you use the most. I think I will want to invest in two or three (to get the quantity discount)but not necessarily all five of them.

Actually it was a video that was made in Spokane Wa. They of course were having a show or a wood working class on the use of the Wolverine sharpening system and the man had said not to over tighten the system and said that they do wear out. It is a two or three part video but I don't remember who had made it. I think the man's first name is Bob but I can't recall the last name. He must have had a stroke at one time as his hand was shaking quite badly but it was a great presentation of the system and all... So that is where I got it from... I think I will like the raptor guides. There are folks who make their own guides and they all seem to work well for sharpening. I did have plan on making some sort of spacers and such, but I had no luck on that.. I will make a few stick out jigs tho .... Fay

JimB

The Raptors that Fay uses the most really won't help you. What you use will depend on what tools you are sharpening and what your preferred angle is for the bevel. For example, Fay may use the 60 the most because that is what she sets her bowl gouge to. You may prefer a 55 degree bevel on yours. The best thing is to look at the tools you use the most and measure the bevel angle on them. That will tell you the best Raptors for you.
Fay

That is Exactly the video I saw and was referring to.:biggrin: Let us know which Raptor guides you use the most. I think I will want to invest in two or three (to get the quantity discount)but not necessarily all five of them.

Fay Prozora

I did buy all 5 of them but I don't have a lot of turning tools either. So at least now I will have one for each tool when I want it. We'll see how things will go. Today my wood turners finish came and the dressing stick thing came so those will be great to have also. I have left to come are the extra belt for my lathe and the kaleidoscope egg kit and bushings coming. I'm not planning on ordering much of any thing else. Will try out the raptors when I get back to my shop.. I'm home resting a spell as I don't feel really great. My shop is located over at my sister's place... Fay

Last edited:

Fay Prozora

Hope you feel better.

I'm feeling a little bit better. I just bummed around all day and ordered some supplies for making polymer clay pens and a kaliedoscope egg and such. I have a new roughing gouge coming too. I have to see a surgeon on the 20th of this month as I have some blockage in my corrotid artery on the left side and lately have been feeling down on that. Let us hope no surgery will be done as I would have to go over to Seattle for that. I had heart surgery about 4 years ago so they do stay on top of things like that. Some times my heart wants to beat too fast so I take the meds the Dr gave me to control that. My turning helps keep my mind off of that and not to mention Sis has cancer so I do help her around her house and such. So I do have a lot of stress going on. Well going to watch some movies now and hit t he sack later.. Good night Fay

Top Bottom