Nova Chuck G3 and Insert Help Please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Hi Folks:

I am an instruction reader, but would like to hear from you on the following:

• How do I lock the chuck so that I can use my reverse function; they say it has to be locked?
  • How do I remove all of the packing grease?
  • Throw in any other advice I may need to know.
Thank you!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alankulwicki7

The insert should have a set screw on it so you can tighten it to the headstock.
I used mineral spirits to clean my chucks when new. Worked fine for me.

Hope that helps. Now let's see your first bowl!

Charlie_W

Yes, set screw. Some of them have a fiber plug under the set screw so you don't bugger up the threads of the insert.

Rag and WD40 for grease/ oils

Make sure all screws on Jaws are tight...even if they come installed.

Robert Taylor

Not only should the adapter be locked to the spindle , the chuck should be locked to the adapter to safely use the chuck in reverse. Only the G3 Delta version offers this from the factory. You may add the additional setscrew yourself if so inclined or have a machine shop do it for you.

hughdrbf

Only the G3 Delta version offers this from the factory. You may add the additional setscrew yourself if so inclined or have a machine shop do it for you.

Tony, my Nova G3 has that threaded set screw hole - look inside one of the two tool ports to find it. The set screw and plug came with the chuck.

As for modifying your adapter for safety, I contacted Rick Herrell for his help performing this mod to my Beall collet chuck. Rick does amazing work, and now I can safely use my Beall collet chuck in reverse on my Jet 1221VS.

Hugh

Last edited:

Old Codger

Tony...Be careful when securing the Nova set screw down on your insert so you don't 'bugger' the threads on your 1221VS spindle shaft... USE the little fiber/plastic set screw protector to prevent damage to the exposed threads on the shaft. Regrettably, Jet did not allow a 'thread free' area to allow the set screw to seat comfortably as with other larger lathes...Don't ask me how I know... ;>) To be honest, I rarely lock the insert/chuck down but I rarely turn large turning ...mostly bowls less than 12" in diameter...As far as removing packing grease, I use Gunk Off or even WD40 to get rid of excess packing greese.

Old Codger

Tony...One last item...INSIST you purchase a NOVA 1 X 8 and NOT a knock off! The knock offs often offered are not balanced, machined correctly and sometimes don't come with a reverse locking set screw!!! If your's don't, return them immediately and don't do what I have done and attempt to modify them to make them work correctly...not worth the effort nor lesser price of a couple of bucks!!! Insist on NOVA inserts!!! Safe turning to you!

Top Bottom