Wiz-ified Again

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from YoYoSpin

YoYoSpin

Here are a couple new shapes, at least for me, fresh off the Beall Pen Wizard...can you guess what the Wiz setup looked like?

Padauk:
1_wiz_019a.jpg

Cocobolo:
1_wiz_020a.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Munsterlander

Wow - gotta look into the Beal Pen Wizard...

I'm curious if you have to do anything special to get the finish consistent/smooth down in between the spirals. I haven't done anything yet that wasn't basically a flat smooth surface and I have a hard enough time getting the finish I want even on that...

S

spiritwoodturner

Ed. you're amazin'!!! They look more liquid than solid. I guess I haven't seen your demo with the Beall, only with the Rose Engine, which was cool enough.

It's one thing to have cool tools. But you sure know what to do with them!

From your neighboring county,
Dale

YoYoSpin

Thanks everyone. Here's a photo of the bur I'm using. It's the 1/8" square-end mill sold by Beall. The setup and process is exactly as JR shows in his YouTube video on making a six sided (polygonal) pen (cut from the side, not the top). except he has disengaged the spiraling gears and I did not.

The trick with this twist pattern is getting down in the groves to sand. There is a real easy way to do this - use cloth backed sandpaper, tear a strip off about 1/4" wide and 6" long, then twist the sandpaper into a long tube. Think of toweling your back dry after a shower - that's the process.

Think I need to make a video on this, huh...?

Attachments

• wiz_020b.jpg
    wiz_020b.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
J

jackrichington

I'm a little lost here Ed..I posted a pen a week ago or so doing the bit the same way, except mine came out a spiral flat...how deep is that bit down? Is the square end doing the work? I have made spirals like that on a legacy with a different bit and can't sell one..people believe it will be uncomfortable to use...

workinforwood

Thanks everyone. Here's a photo of the bur I'm using. It's the 1/8" square-end mill sold by Beall. The setup and process is exactly as JR shows in his YouTube video on making a six sided (polygonal) pen (cut from the side, not the top). except he has disengaged the spiraling gears and I did not.

The trick with this twist pattern is getting down in the groves to sand. There is a real easy way to do this - use cloth backed sandpaper, tear a strip off about 1/4" wide and 6" long, then twist the sandpaper into a long tube. Think of toweling your back dry after a shower - that's the process.

Think I need to make a video on this, huh...?

Towel my back dry??? Isn't that what the wife is for!?:biggrin:

Looks great...I was going to say you had it mounted on the side and at an angle, like maybe 60 degrees from the pen. I am wrong..guess now you have to try that!

KenV

Nice -- and the effect is similar to a cove cut on a table saw (pushing the wood across the blade at an angle to get a curved shape). Good use of the mind to visually see in three dimensions through solid wood.

How do the shapes feel in the hand -- are the ridges soft enough to feels good to the fingers and palm?

Top Bottom