wine bottle holder/bottle stopper gift set - pics and question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MyKidsDad

MyKidsDad

I made a few of these wine bottle holders a couple years ago for Christmas gifts. I drilled a hole near the bottom that allowed for a bottle stopper to be held on the stand also.

I am making a set again for a neighbor kid's school auction and started thinking about a different way to hold the bottle stopper instead of right on the stand. I came up with this trying to make it look like the top of a wine bottle. (didn't wan't it to go deep enough for the o-rings to go inside though).

Can't decide which way I like it better so thought I'd ask the collective braintrust here for opinions.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

broitblat

I think both are clever and well executed.

Personally, I think the first has a more novel feel, however. For the second style, I'd suggest exaggerating the wine bottle shape a bit more by continuing to where the bottle's shoulders would be a bit wider.

Thanks for sharing 2 great ideas.

-Barry

Mark

I really like the first one. Way cool....
The second one is a great idea, but I like the first one a whole lot. Thanks for the post and sharing your idea's.

MyKidsDad

Barry,

Yes, I thought the same thing about the second idea, that it needed to flair out more at the base. The first attempt was just to show it to my wife to see what she thought of the idea as she couldn't picture what I was trying to describe. I just grabbed the first piece of scrap that I had laying around and started turning it. After seeing it, my first thought was that it need to be larger at the base.

knifecut

The first one keeps everything together. Might even make one that can hold a couple of stoppers higher up and to either side of the neck.

Might want to match the wood of the holder and the stopper.

Last edited:
I made a few of these wine bottle holders a couple years ago for Christmas gifts. I drilled a hole near the bottom that allowed for a bottle stopper to be held on the stand also.

I make a different kind of wine bottle stand, but your idea with the stopper gave me a great idea.... my stands are a turned round base with a ring for the bottle on a stem and I usually put a decorative finial in the middle... I have to see if it will work, but a matching bottle stopper in lieu of the finial would be a terrific look.... thanks for the idea...

Here is the stand I make...

Attachments

• 41-1144_3.jpg
    41-1144_3.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 117

gwisher

I personally like the first one, it makes a nice set and you get not only 1 but 2 hand crafted items displayed as one.

Top Bottom