Why Not Slimlines?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bob in SF

I agree with David (OLDMAN5050).

Slim lines are my laboratory for all sorts of experiments - and once refined, the various (cost-effectively developed) working methods translate easily to larger pens.

Just my 2 (slim) cents.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edicehouse

I started a new thread because I didn't want to sidetrack John T. "What If" thread. There were a couple of remarks about "I wouldn't start with Slimlines". I DO understand that it's a cheap kit that when finished it's becomes some what a cheap pen. With that out of the way I want to add that since it's a low price kit you can practice and mess up and give them away and not be out much money. I'm sure most of us have figured out that although you can get materials reasonably priced at times it can still add up. Friends have told me it's the same amount of work as most other pens and you'll be lucky to get half the price when you try to sell it. That is true but my thinking is if I can get $30-$60 for one pen I can buy several more kits to keep busy. I like the fact that it's a small sleek pen that can be easily carried so people can use and show them off. Last but not least I think it is the most versatile kit there is. You can alter the kit so many ways it's unreal. Just look at the Slimline Contests. I don't think it's the one and only kit I think it just gets a bad rap from time to time.

Well this thread went far from what the OP stated.

Rereading what he put, he is not asking about starting someone on them. He is not asking about trying to build a business with them. What I think he is commenting on is selling a couple here and there to not lose a ton of money, or giving them away as gifts. He sounds like a hobbyist just trying to keep from refinancing his house to support pen making.

jttheclockman

Well Ed I agree with you but when someone and I am included posts a thread such as his which to me is just stating an opinion about someone else opinion in another thread, begs for comments both pro and con. I think others and again I am included are just stating a different view than the OP. It comes down to chatter and that is what this site desperately needs. Chatter and discussions that are intelligent and thoughtful and most times passionate. It makes for a discussion that has other alternatives to what the OP is saying. I believe no one is disagreeing with him but are simply pointing out other options and thoughts. Everyone is free to do as they please and see fit for their budget as well as there turning abilities and sales. This is just my opinion of your opinion.:):):)

Kenny Durrant

What stated me thinking was that it seemed to me that most of the time there is a comment about slimlines it would be negitive. I'll be the first to agree that it isn't an easy pen to start with but very economical to play with. You can afford to experiment with them and not be out much at all if things don't go your way. The tubes are even cheap so if you want to start over it will only cost about a buck. I try to use platings other than gold because the gold doesn't last long at all. Most of the plain pens I sell go for about $20 and they go up from there. I think the most I've ever gotten was $75. One thing I do with all my pens is that i want people to know as soon as they see one that they are not store bought. After reading the comments it's good to know there's several people like me that think slims are a special pen. I don't want to start a debate on where on the popular list they should be but I think we can all agree that they are on the list. Thanks for all your comments.

sbwertz

I almost always have a couple of slims in my purse, tucked away in the little plastic bags the kids come it. I give them away to people I meet, waitresses, sales clerks, etc.

We turn hundreds of them at the blind center, both for the turners to give as gifts, and as service pens. Most of the pens we sell as fundraisers are the more expensive and more elegant kits, though.

Top Bottom