Help Identifying Woods

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sappheiros

A friend of mine has a nice wood workshop and he offered me some different woods. He identified one as Brazilian Cherry and another as Ash.

These two, he was unsure about as much of the wood he works with is donated to him. Any idea? The first to pictures are of the first wood (one full with some Ash by its side for comparison, one sliced up) and the second is the other wood.

Attachments

• IMG_8287_1080x1440.jpg
    IMG_8287_1080x1440.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_8296_1440x1080.jpg
    IMG_8296_1440x1080.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_8297_1440x1080.jpg
    IMG_8297_1440x1080.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1080Wayne

Just to make sure I`m clear , the first unknown is the brown wood on the right hand side of the first photo and near the top of the second photo , and all of the wood in the third photo is the second unknown ?

A close-up shot of well sanded end grain would help .

Sappheiros

Just to make sure I`m clear , the first unknown is the brown wood on the right hand side of the first photo and near the top of the second photo , and all of the wood in the third photo is the second unknown ?

A close-up shot of well sanded end grain would help .

The first unknown is the brown wood on the right hand side of the first photo, but it is the entire second photo as well, which shows both the smoothed finished end as well as the inside of the wood after it was cut into strips.
- Maybe Red Oak? I am not very familiar with my woods!

The wood in the third photo is the second unknown. This one I could sand to try and get a better view of the grain, though I may need to sand all of the pieces! :rolleyes: :laugh:
- Maybe White Walnut? - Balsam Poplar? - White Poplar?

Last edited:

1080Wayne

The second photo looks like it could be one of the red oaks but the first photo doesn`t to me . Third possibly butternut or one of the hickories . End grain shots are the most reliable for wood ID .

Brian G

Your unknown next to the ash in the first photo and in the second photo is white oak.

I'm not sure of the second unknown.

1080Wayne

Re red oak or white oak : Brian may be viewing these on a larger screen and seeing something I can`t . There are two features which are commonly used to differentiate between the the two . Ray length in red oaks is generally less than 1 inch whereas the longest ray in white oaks is 1 1/4 inch or more . Probably more reliable is the appearance of the pores on a well sanded and vacuumed end grain piece . Red oaks have latewood pores solitary in radial lines whereas in white oaks they tend to be in indistinct multiples . Earlywood red oak pores usually look open but white oak ones look filled with bubbles (tyloses) .

JohnU

Its tough just looking. I like to feel, weigh and smell the woods to help confirm my decisions, but my guess is... in the first picture, if the wood on the right is smooth but splintery it could be hickory. The second picture looks to be red oak in the back and possibly white oak in front. The bluish - black nail holes support my opinion. The last picture resembles a few...lol. The color character resembles olive wood but the open grain and roughness of it reminds me of some locust blanks I cut. You will probably get several different answers based on each of our own experiences. Good luck!

Sappheiros

I finally got a chance to get back into the workshop today. I took photos of the ends of the woods in question.

Attachments

• image-3270592177.jpg
    image-3270592177.jpg
    542.6 KB · Views: 116
  • image-3719866150.jpg
    image-3719866150.jpg
    590.5 KB · Views: 115
Top Bottom