Why is my padauk tacky?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Monday evening I posted a picture if these bread knives after I applied a coat of wipe on poly to them. Tonight I went to lightly sand them to knock down the rough spots before applying a coat of spray poly and the padauk ones were slightly tacky. The rest of them were dry. I sanded them down and most of the tackiness sanded off so I went ahead and gave them a coat of the spray poly.
My question is, why would just the padauk be tack like it was not completely dry and the rest were fine?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

You are adding oil to an oily wood which does not have large open grain like the other woods. To me the way around this is to spray a coat of dewaxed shellac before doing the poly on all of the pieces.

leehljp

Member Liaison
As John wrote, a spray coat of dewed shellac before poly should help. If they are still tacky, consider using poly thinner to clean the poly off and letting it set for a few days in a very warm dry place, then coat it with spray shellac and then poly.

Last edited:

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Thanks for the quick replies. I'll see what they are like tomorrow evening. If still tacky, I'll wipe them with thinner, let them dry and spray with dreaded shellac, then recapture with poly.

penicillin

Best thread I have seen on Penturners. Great advice, served with an overdose of humor and wit. I nearly fell out of my chair.

Top Bottom