CA Inlay Air Bubbles

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Marcmallia

Hey there.
I really enjoy making opal inlay pens, but keep finding that no matter how much I try, I always end up with air bubbles in my inlay. They're small enough that on light colours stones, they aren't noticable without specifically looking for them. But on darker colours, they stand out like a sore thumb.

I've tried drilling them out with an appropriate sized ball bur, scrubbing with multiple different brushes (electric & manual toothbrush, fine polishing brush, coarse bristle brush) and 99% iso alcohol, and masking them with stones or pigment colours. Every time, without fail, it makes them more noticable.

Has anyone found any tricks to prevent or reduce this issue?

I've also tried using UV resin and gel nail polish in place of the CA to try to reduce the bubbles, but it isn't compatible with the CA, and just peels away, either for the finish CA coat, or if there is CA on the pen tube or wood.

In the photo, I've used a small ball bur to try to remove some of the dust accumulated in the bubbles, and used a fine bristle rotary brush to clean them out, but the white is still there. Many of the smaller spots are in between the layers of CA.

Thanks for taking the time to read!

Attachments

• 20220823_150223.jpg
    20220823_150223.jpg
    393 KB · Views: 109
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

CA is a tricky material. It seems to go on thick and easy but air doesn't escape the same. The only thing I can offer is to try very thin water like CA and apply very thin layers. It will take longer but should eliminate the more visible bubbles. I like the red label glue boost. It's the thinnest I've found, and you don't need accelerator with the red label so it won't bubble up or cure uneven like some do. Hopefully someone will offer other ideas for you. Good luck!

jttheclockman

I agree with the layer thing but I am a big fan of Satelite City and their thin is very thin. Never used glubost and never intend to so I can not compare. Good luck.

ramaroodle

I would try GluBoost and it's branded activator. It's originally for violin and guitar repair. No bubbles if used properly with the activator.

Marcmallia

CA is a tricky material. It seems to go on thick and easy but air doesn't escape the same. The only thing I can offer is to try very thin water like CA and apply very thin layers. It will take longer but should eliminate the more visible bubbles. I like the red label glue boost. It's the thinnest I've found, and you don't need accelerator with the red label so it won't bubble up or cure uneven like some do. Hopefully someone will offer other ideas for you. Good luck!
Thanks for the suggestion! I have tried thin starbond, but found it very difficult to control, even with a precision applicator. It may be worth another go though, if it'll help reduce the bubbles. If that doesn't work, I'll give the brand you recommended a shot. Thanks again!

Marcmallia

I would try GluBoost and it's branded activator. It's originally for violin and guitar repair. No bubbles if used properly with the activator.
Thanks for the suggstion. I'll have a look to see if I can track it down here in Canada. We don't have as much access to niche stuff here, but worth a shot. Thanks again!

Top Bottom