Who's planning on going to SWAT 2014

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BJohn

Ok I realize it may be a little bit early? But I am pumped up and ready to go. Hey it's only 65 days away. Look 65 days before Christmas the decorations going up and the Christmas music is playing.

But who's going to SWAT 2014

I have shared an email with Don, so I have an idea about the Pen Turning SIG.

Looking forward to this year our Turners Group joined the list of supporting chapters this year so we will be helping to sell raffle tickets. This is really going to be a great year.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

SWAT, Southwestern Association of Turners, is the annual symposium held in Waco, Texas. Last year we had 900+ attendees. It is an excellent symposium and trade show. SWAT will be held in late August.

I will be hosting the penturning SIG on Friday evening. Also, I will be hosting a hands on penturning area with blanks ready to go and 5 jet mini lathes setup. Buy a kit, pick out a blank and turn a pen. This year we will be making slimlines and sierras. I have bocote blanks, afzelia blanks hopefully some really nice surprise blanks. Come by and visit or make a pen.

Home

Do a good turn daily!
Don

When and where?

BJohn

SWAT

Hi Sharon

That's crazy of me, to make the assumption everyone knew about SWAT.

It is held in Waco Texas the last full weekend of August.

Here is a link to their web site. Home

There will be close to 1000 turners, 39 + vendors and a full line of of demonstrations and SIG meetings.

Registration also includes a hot buffet lunch all three day's.

Check it out, it has to be one of the best if not the best symposium going.

flyitfast

Sharon, this year's SWAT is the end of August in Waco TX (just a short hop and skip from Phoenix!!:biggrin:
Here is the link for Southwest Assoc of Woodturners (SWAT)

Home

Hope to see you there. It is almost as great as AAW was and a whole lot cheaper. They even provide the daily lunches!
The Demo's are outstanding, with some of the same folks from AAW. The website above shows who will be presenting demos and a lot of other info about the get to gether. There will be a lot of IAP folks there.

The Instant Gallery is almost as big as it was at AAW. We had over 900 attendees last year.
The raffles always have some really great tools and turnings.

They even provide the daily lunches!

Come and enjoy. Actually, everyone has open invite to visit us in Texas!!
Gordon

BJohn

And the lunches are not bologna sandwiches a bag of chips and a diet coke.

Basically a hot buffet were you load your plate with all you think you can eat, grab a glass of ice tea and a piece of cake for desert.

flyitfast

And the lunches are not bologna sandwiches a bag of chips and a diet coke.

Basically a hot buffet were you load your plate with all you think you can eat, grab a glass of ice tea and a piece of cake for desert.

Thanks John - I haven't really ever had a bad meal there at SWAT over 7 years. They do an outstanding job of feeding all those people in a short time.
gordon

bmac

SWAT has put on an outstanding symposium every year that I have gone. It is a big bang for the bucks and well worth the cost. I plan on making the trip from Louisiana again this year.

Bobby
Louisiana

BJohn

Good deal Harry, Let me know if you go, I would like to at least meet & chat with a lot of the IAP members that go.

Surely there are other turns from your neck of the woods going.

traderdon55

This will be my 7th year to go and I always have a great time. I have never been to an AAW symposium but everyone I know that has been to both SWAT and AAW say they prefer SWAT. Just be sure to bring plenty of money as the vendors always have some deals that you just can't pass up. If it is as usual you will even see some of our IAP vendors with booths there.

From Lower Arkansas (LA)

Actually from the lower southeast corner....I was able to attend my 1st SWAT meeting in Waco last year and totally blown away with the event!! I have already registered and am looking forward to this years symposium.
I found out about the event late last year, & had a difficult time finding a hotel! I had to drive from a hotel on the south side of town to the convention center, but I did not really find that inconvienient at all! However this year I was able to book the convention hotel so that will be a plus. Don't forget the Beads of Courage bowls! That is truly a great opportunity to share your handwork with a needy child!:)

BJohn

Ok I started this thread a little over a month ago, And it kind of went silent. So let's see if we can revive it.

SWAT is basically 4 weeks from today ! Let's see if we can get a head count as to who is going.

Be great to have a lot of IAP members there for Dan Ward's SIG meeting Friday evening.

Top Bottom