Who wuda thunk it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mudder

I'm watching a Bonnie Klein video and she finishes corian pens by sanding to 600 grit and polishing with Brasso. Anyone ever tried this? She also uses it when turning bone and cow hoof and cow horn.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

btboone

Brasso works on lots of stuff. Just don't try it on a bicycle rim where the tires glue on! It's also a pretty good solvent. DAMHIKT.[B)]

jwoodwright

I use MAAS Metal Polish on Corian... Works great and leaves a nice finish...

84199_Corian%20Slimline%20Pen%20and%20Pencil%20008.jpg
<br />

TomServo

almost any good polish can be used to gloss up plastics - brasso isn't the best option in my experience, but it works... best shine I've ever gotten with a one-step metal polish from ~600 grit is with simichrome. Flitz works well also and if you do a lot of plastics, check out an auto parts store for paint polish - availible in different grits (I have some medium cut somewhere).

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Are we talking "finish" or just a highly polished surface.
Without a "finish" a highly polished surface woujd be subject to scratching and dulling.
i.e.
I can polish bare wood to a high gloss but would expect it to dull with time.
But coating the polished bare wood with CA or lacquer I am protecting the gloss of the wood with a "finish".
I imagine the same would apply to plastics.

bdar

I don't know if anybody has tried this but I have for the last 5 years used tooth paste for acrylics. Cover the blank with tooth paste and using a damp rag lightly polish the acrylic. Tooth paste is a polish for the enamel on your teeth plus as an added bonus it gives your pen fluoride protection. [:D]

M

Mudder

Originally posted by cteaglesc
<br />I imagine the same would apply to plastics.
What type of "finish" do you use on Corian?
My daily writer is a corian pen "finished" with MM and with 2 years of daily use it still looks as good as the day it was "finished"

Chris Hare

When I do a corian pen I sand to ~12000 and use HUT plastic polish. I stop at that, I do not put a finish on them. I just walked over to a co-worker who I made a corian pen for three months ago. She uses it everyday and carries it in the bottom of her purse. Other than a couple of scratches it is just as glossy as the day that I made it.

jwoodwright

Are there rocks as well in the purse? [:p][;)][}:)]

My wife has carried a White Corian Cigar for over 7 years, the gold is about gone, used a 10K kit from CS. No scratches though...

The MAAS Metal Polish must be a "Finish" as it still looks great and she still gets me many sales...[:I]

Added: You can get crazy and try and get Corian super slick... Then it's tough to hold onto. The Fabricators only go out to 600 grit and don't strive for that glassy finish. Theirs is a more Semi-Gloss which holds up to everyday use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom