Acrylic blank problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

LAKingsFan

I seem to be having a problem with acrylic blanks that I bought from Woodcraft. When I turn them down just above the bushings you can see the glue and also the brass tube. Keep in mind that I'm not turning the blanks too short. They just seem to be transparent once they get to the proper size.

I have tried to paint the brass tubes with a sharpie to hide the brass, but didn't work either. I was trying to make a Exc. pen from PSI...you know the long blank pen kit type.

When I turn cigar pens or larger kits it's ok...the blanks are bigger when finished.

What do you all think?????

Ron

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rtjw

It is the thickness of the acrylic. Sometimes when they get turned down they are transparent. try to fins a color to paint your tubes and the inside of the blank that matches the color of the acrylic.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by rtjw
<br />It is the thickness of the acrylic. Sometimes when they get turned down they are transparent. try to fins a color to paint your tubes and the inside of the blank that matches the color of the acrylic.

This bears repeating and it has worked for me try to find a color to paint your tubes and the inside of the blank that matches the color of the acrylic.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by LAKingsFan
<br />Paint the inside of the acrylic also huh. Never thought of that. What type of paint should I use?

Ron

I have used enamel model paint and acrylic. Depends on the glus you are using.

alamocdc

Ron, I've done quite a few Executives using resin and acrylic. I've never painted the inside of my blanks, just the tubes, but I use a color very close to that of the blank. I usually use Rustoleum and only use epoxy. Just make sure you scuff the tubes up very well and clean them w/DNA so the paint sticks good.

TomServo

I have had good success tinting the epoxy that I use to glue the tubes into the blank. I just use regular 5 minute epoxy and standard paint tints (but not raw umber). I reccomend the Ace brand tints - not only are Ace hardware stores more likely to sell/give you some tint, they are universal types that can be added to a wide variety of paints/resins. I've had good success with them in my PR blanks I'm experimenting with.

If you add a little white or black along with your base color, you will get a less transparent color (more hide). I like to add a little white and a little black to dark colors.

wayneis

I agree whole heartedly with painting the holes of the blanks. Not doing so usually shows air bubbles just like you mention. Granted there are some acrylics that only require painting the tubes I gat tired of wasting nice blanks finding out which so I now paint all holes and tubes, doesn't really take me that much more time. I use an acrylic flat or satin paint and epoxy glue. By the way if any of you do the imitation stone be sure to paint holes and tubes.

Wayne

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by LAKingsFan
<br />Paint the inside of the acrylic also huh. Never thought of that. What type of paint should I use?

Ron

For one who may soon take a small step into the dark side, I ask:
wouldn't painting the inside of the drilled blank change the size of the hole, thus requiring redrilling, thus removing the paint? [?]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Frank,

Sometimes, yes.

You need to get accustomed to which kits require slight adjustment. With anyone else, I would tell them just go up a 64th, but I know YOU don't want to hear about extra 64ths and additional bits-so, thin coat of paint, OK?

[:D][:D][:D]

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />Frank,

Sometimes, yes.

You need to get accustomed to which kits require slight adjustment. With anyone else, I would tell them just go up a 64th, but I know YOU don't want to hear about extra 64ths and additional bits-so, thin coat of paint, OK?

[:D][:D][:D]

ADDITIONAL BITS? [?] Heresy. [}:)] Wash out your e-mouth with something nasty. [;)][:D]

I make it a habit to paint all the tubes on my celluloid and acrylic blanks. Also on ALL my homebrew blanks. I've found that especially with the homebrews you can deepen the colors or sometimes even change the colors. Some of you might remember several pens I've posted made from a homebrew that was teal amd red. Well that resin started out as a nice deep red, but the green was very transparent. On a whim I painted the tubes BLUE. The red was opaque enough it didn't change it but it made the green a nice teal color. So IMHO it never hurts to paint the tubes, sometimes you even make it look totally different!!

TomServo

Use what you have, or what you can get cheap... If you're friendly with the local hardware store guys, and have some epoxy, go my route and get some paint tints and mix them with the epoxy. Just remember, add black or white (or both) for hide (non-transparency). So if you want bright red, use a drop of red tint and a drop of white tint, mix in the epoxy and then coat the inside of the blanks and the outside of the tubes. be a little generous and you can prevent air bubbles..

standard disclaimer about tradeoffs etc etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom