Who makes the catalog display pens?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ossaguy

I have a little trivia question here.....looking thru the PSI catalog,and the CSUSA one,I was wondering is there someone here on the IAP that is the designated turner for the cover pens,or on the other pages? They always look so great.

Just wonderin......

Steve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
There are accomplished pen turners at both of these companies who may or may not be IAP members. I agree, they do have nice pens in the display whoever makes them.

Sam@CSUSA

I can't speak for PSI since I don't work there (hence the @CSUSA :biggrin:) but the pens displayed in the catalog are actually turned by the guys in our content department. The majority of the catalog (minus a few manufacturer images) is actually an in house project. :eek:

Lee K

I can't speak for PSI since I don't work there (hence the @CSUSA :biggrin:) but the pens displayed in the catalog are actually turned by the guys in our content department. The majority of the catalog (minus a few manufacturer images) is actually an in house project. :eek:
Are you hiring ???? :biggrin::biggrin:

studioso

Wow!
really ipressive, I must say. Csusa has some of the nicest images, clear, well lit, beatiful quality. I would compare them to lee valley. the only wish I have is that they could be enlarged even more.

Dan Hintz

Just found this one, so sorry for the bump, but since I knew the answer...

Bill Grumbine turned the vast majority of the catalog pens for PSI when they first got into it. He tells the story better, but in a nutshell, the owner sent him every kit they currently sold along with a bunch of blanks... several weeks later he returned a package with the pens.

When I questioned the ability to make much profit due to the slow speed of turning a single pen (this is before I was a penturner myself, so I had no basis for comparison), he told me they could be done in under 5 minutes. I had my skeptical look on, so he decided to prove it. Other than using a blank that already had the tubes glued in, I watched him turn a slimline in roughly 4:30, from pulling the blank out of the drawer to handing me n assembled pen. Of course, there was no CA, wax or other polish on it, but he accomplished exactly what he said he would.

Bill is one heck of a turner, but pens aren't his real area of interest, so don't expect to see too many more come out of his shop. If you get an opportunity, I suggest to everyone to take a full-day class with him. His prices are very reasonable, he'll school you on whatever subject you wish to learn, and you get a nice home-cooked meal with his family. He's got a bit of a sharp wit about him and a good sense of humor, so if you're anywhere close to the same, it makes for a very enjoyable experience.

jbswearingen

...since we've necromanced a thread...

;)

I'm with Dan when it comes to Bill. I've yet had the opportunity to attend one of his classes, but I've dealt with him on the phone and online on another forum; he's a good guy and fun to deal with.

He can turn a mean bowl, too.

Top Bottom