Whisky wood stoppers, shaving kits and pens oh my!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Carl Fisher

Carl Fisher

So we have finished our gift line for Heritage Handcrafted. They are getting ready to post them in their store front and I was given permission to share.

Attachments

• Bottle Stopper_Final.jpg
    Bottle Stopper_Final.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 277
  • Shaving_Kit_Final.jpg
    Shaving_Kit_Final.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 265
  • Shaving_Kit_Final_2.jpg
    Shaving_Kit_Final_2.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 223
  • Cigar_Pen_Final.jpg
    Cigar_Pen_Final.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 242
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

Well done, Carl. My favorite is the low profile bottle stopper. Is that a Ruth Nile SS stopper? What finish did you use on the shaving kit?

BTW, the background is perfect for those photos.

Carl Fisher

The stopper is indeed a ruth niles stopper. We went through a half dozen designs before we settled on that one. It works well from a material standpoint because I can get the full height of the top out of the thickness of the top and bottom of the barrels. The staves on the side were too thin by the time we flattened them and we didn't want to do a glue up for it.

The finish is just a simple one. A few coats of hand rubbed Tru-Oil followed by a friction finish top coat. The tannin in the white oak makes it a perfect candidate for a shaving set for the same reasons it works well for distilleries. It is naturally resistant to moisture. Combined with the fact that any moisture it would have absorbed would have done so during the aging of the whisky, it works out perfect for this application.

I had Jonathon try to stabilize a few pieces and it really didn't take on much if anything at all which was good enough proof for me that it would hold up well.

As for the JB, the owner of Heritage Handcrafted (James Broyhill III) purchased a burning kit that fits into a drill press. I haven't seen it in person yet, but it supposedly has interchangeable lettering and just presses down like a branding iron.

Top Bottom