Which Sierra ?? Are they all the same ??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RBcarving

I see a lot of people really like the Sierras (as bestsellers/favorites to turn/etc)... Upon searching, I find Sierras avaialble from a variety of suppliers....
So, is there a difference or a preference in the kits from berea, timberbits in AU, A1penkits on Feebay ???

Brad

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Burr

Banned
At the risk of offending several distributors...I have tried several and stick one vendor. Have a lash at a few...pick your own as you may have different results!

Padre

Yes, there are different Sierras. Click, twist, rollerball, Elegant Sierra, and on and on.

And, yes, they are available from a variety of suppliers. Pick one, give them a call or an email, and let them teach you about the different models.

Xander

I think the Manhatten by Rockler is very similar. Probably all these similar pens come from the same factory and are just renamed for different retailers. I could be wrong.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Best I can tell, there are at least five "factories" building their own versions---they are VERY different in some cases. I have written an article about the history of kits and the 'makers", PM me if you would like a copy.

Because of my connection with Exotics, I don't answer these questions on the forum, since some complain it is advertising---no answer, no hassle.

Happy to tell you what I think, privately, if you ask.

crabcreekind

i would say that the sierra click ktis from exotics are the best ive tried. Twist sierra have a fatal flaw. IF YOU TWIST THEM THE WRONG WAY, THEY COME APART. And most people dont like twist pens

tjseagrove

crabcreekind said:
i would say that the sierra click ktis from exotics are the best ive tried. Twist sierra have a fatal flaw. IF YOU TWIST THEM THE WRONG WAY, THEY COME APART. And most people dont like twist pens

They don't come apart an different than a Cigar would... I tend to use finial twist types as the are easier one handed.

greenchicken

I've dabbled with many of them and I honestly like the Woodcraft Wall Street II Twist pens the most. They are barrel twist which I think is the classiest version. Unfortunately they are also the most expensive ones.

O

alphageek

Former Moderator
I've dabbled with many of them and I honestly like the Woodcraft Wall Street II Twist pens the most. They are barrel twist which I think is the classiest version. Unfortunately they are also the most expensive ones.

O

FYI - The Woodcraft WSII is a Berea sierra.... Also available from a couple of the berea resellers listed above!

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
not necessarily the same product

Timberbits and A1pen are the same company I think. I have bought lots from Timberbits and they are great quality for the price.
They are the same people but I'm not sure they sell the same products...I always got the impression that A1 was their low end outlet and Timberbits the higher end.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Probably

O

FYI - The Woodcraft WSII is a Berea sierra.... Also available from a couple of the berea resellers listed above!
It probably is but Dayacom sells that style as an unbranded kit called Wall Street II. Incidently Dayacom alone has 7 different models of that style in their lineup including click and barrel twist and finial twist. I think Barea also has at least 4 models as well.

In short, you have more choices of models with Sierra's than almost any other kit out there.

There are really three types: Click, finial twist and barrel twist. There are a ton of plating options and a pretty wide spread in prices.

There are probably some differences in the mechanicals but mostly they are not visible to the naked eye. Many of the mechanical parts should be interchangeable but I wouldn't recommend swapping them around between brands.

alphageek

Former Moderator

O

It probably is but Dayacom sells that style as an unbranded kit called Wall Street II.

Much more than probably on this one. Woodcraft is well known as a Berea reseller and some of the stuff actually had Berea tags/model numbers on occassion.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
True

O

It probably is but Dayacom sells that style as an unbranded kit called Wall Street II.

Much more than probably on this one. Woodcraft is well known as a Berea reseller and some of the stuff actually had Berea tags/model numbers on occassion.
That's true, but I think there are others who also sell Sierra style under that name so there is still room for confusion.

timberbits

Timberbits and A1pen are the same company I think. I have bought lots from Timberbits and they are great quality for the price.
They are the same people but I'm not sure they sell the same products...I always got the impression that A1 was their low end outlet and Timberbits the higher end.

I can't use Timberbits on eBay because that user ID is already taken by another person. I do own A1penkits as well and am about to start that website up again mainly for wholesale bulk lots to other pen kit resellers and large volume users.

There are many many different makers of the "Sierra" Style kits, same as there are many different makers of the 7mm kits. All sellers of this style kit call them "Sierra kits" in Australia, its only the North Americans sellers that use different names, this is probably because trademark issues and nasty letters from lawyers.

Watch out for Sierras that use black plastic in the nib section. Also watch out for some Chinese Sierras that have very bad black enamel on the nib end. Black chrome, once scratched deep enough to the brass will often start to flake off - a really bad look.

Let me know if you need more information or have any further questions.

Regards

David

JamesB

I didn't see Woodturningz Mesa kit mentioned. It must be a finial twist since I made WSII before and got this as a substitute and it was different but I couldn't put my finger on how until now. The only one I tried to make was destroyed so I can't comment on reliability or durability until I make another one.

JamesB

I didn't see Woodturningz Mesa kit mentioned. It must be a finial twist since I made WSII before and got this as a substitute and it was different but I couldn't put my finger on how until now. The only one I tried to make was destroyed so I can't comment on reliability or durability until I make another one.

OK. After making 2 mesa kits from Woodturningz, and 2 Wall Street II's from Woodcraft I can definitely say they are not all the same! The WSII is a much higher quality and I'm frankly a little, no make that very, disappointed in the Mesa. Going back to WSII or maybe the gatsby.

PenMan1

ACTUALLY, These days, the "flaw" my lie with the pen maker. A small "dab" of 5 minute epoxy to attach the clip mechanism to the tube and top twist adapter makes the Sierras virtually flawless.

I think Ed misses a few "Sierras". In my shop, I just counted 7 different "Sierras". AND that doesn't even count the Aero, which some distributors sell as a Sierra. Add to that, the 5-8 platings that are offered by each manufacturer, makes the number about 35-40 different Sierras.

You said that "most people don't like twist pens". I guess this is a venue thing! I sell "Sierra" (one mfg or another) MORE THAN 100 to 1 over Sierra clicks. In fact, today I sell so few "clicks" and they have been SUCH A WARRANTY NIGHTMARE, in the past, that I refer click sales to another pen maker.

JamesB

ACTUALLY, These days, the "flaw" my lie with the pen maker. A small "dab" of 5 minute epoxy to attach the clip mechanism to the tube and top twist adapter makes the Sierras virtually flawless.

Andy, Do I understand correctly that you are saying to epoxy the clip mech. to the tube and put a dab of epoxy to the top twist adapter so it can't come out?

That's so crazy, it just might work!!! :biggrin:

The Wall Street II is made by Berea. You will find that Berea's sierras are the same quality.
Perusing the various websites and it looks like you're the guy to get these from.

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Andy, Do I understand correctly that you are saying to epoxy the clip mech. to the tube and put a dab of epoxy to the top twist adapter so it can't come out?

That's so crazy, it just might work!!! :biggrin:

The Wall Street II is made by Berea. You will find that Berea's sierras are the same quality.
Perusing the various websites and it looks like you're the guy to get these from.
I don't know of anybody carrying it but Dayacom also makes the style in a kit called "Wall Street II Twist Ball Pen"

Top Bottom