Drilled my blank a bit to big

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jason Irwin

Greetings,

Is there anyway to save a blank from being drilled a bit to big? I used the wrong drill bit by accident.

It was a nice piece of green colored burl, too!

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DRAT

Been there, done that. I just saved mine to use for a larger pen later. I have tried to make it fit in the past with shavings mixed with 2-part epoxy, but it spun loose on the lathe. I think this happens to those of us who don't have a great organizing system for our drill bits, bushings, etc.

Good luck.

DRAT

Xander

Paint the hole, let it dry, then use epoxy glue. Might work

EDIT. On second thought, if the hole is too large you might not have enough meat in the blank. Save it for a larger pen.

Last edited:

1080Wayne

So , 15/32 is 0.468 and 31/64 is 0.484 . Bushing size on the Baron/Sedona is 0.535 (assuming that is what you want to make) , which should leave about 25 thou of wood , so the blank can be used . I guess your options are to 1)cast the hole full and re-drill , 2)Leave the hole as is , use Gorilla glue which will expand to fill the gap and attempt to keep the tube centered with three small pieces of 7-8 thou shim at each end .

nativewooder

Tape the bottom end closed with good tape and overfill with some type of liquid epoxy resin. Make some type of dam at the top out of tape or putty or whatever you have as there will be some shrinkage, and overfill the blank. Set it aside for a week or so to cure and redrill. DAMHIKAT!:embarrassed:

PenMan1

Use your calipers to measure the exact size of the drill bit you used to drill the hole. If you don't own calipers (eventually you'll need them), take an adjustable wrench and set it to the exact size of the drill bit that you used.

Then, take an oak or maple dowel (cheap at the local hardware store) and turn it to the exact measurement indicated on the adjustable wrench or calipers. Turn the dowel until the fit in the hole is exact. The reason that it is preferred to use a manufactured dowel rather that "scrap" wood in the shop is that the dowel is made from kiln dried hard wood. There is no telling how moist or oily scrap wood may be.

Once you have milled and sanded the dowel to an exact fit for the hole, put a thin coat of warm water on the dowel and glue it into place with polyurethane glue (Gorrilla Glue). In applications such as this, CA glue tends to break loose when redrilling, and epoxy glue doesn't work as well the the expanding foam glues.

Unless there is a HUGE difference in the hole you meant to drill and the hole you did drill, this technique will hold and do well for years. DAMHIKT:)

Top Bottom