Which Disc Sander???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fish30114

I am wanting a disc sander independent from my lathe. I've been looking at various 12" disc models. I am considering the Shop Fox and the Rikon among others--looking for input/advice on which of these are any others to go with.

Thanks--Don

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Hi Don: I can't tell you which one to but, but I believe CPO or MSC had a sales on the Jet.

Another alternative is to by a HF mini lathe and use it as a dedicated disk sander.
I use their $80 model (with coupon) as a dedicated CA station.

Sorry, I didn't have input on the sander.

Don - do you have planned uses other than pens for a 12in sander? If not, you might want to consider a disk/belt sander combo. I have a Delta combo, and I find it more versatile - so use it more than my 12" disk for pen work. This Rikon combo looks reasonable. Also available at Woodcraft for nearly the same price.

J Michael

I did a LOT of shopping around last year when my son and I decided that we wanted something a little better than the 6" we had looking to the future with him wanting to get into segmented bowls. After reading all of the reviews I could find on all of the available 12-inch models I finally decided on the Delta 31-140 12" 1/2 hp - got it from Amazon after comparing prices and adding in shipping, taxes, etc. I like the cast iron table, trunnion angle setting, dust collection, it even comes with the tools for adjusting it and has a place to store them on the sander. There were a lot of reviews talking about discs that were not flat or made cheaply with a lot of run out and the Delta seemed to have the least problem there, too. I also liked the manual brake on it - don't have to worry about grandson or great grandson walking into the shop and putting a little finger to a spinning down disc.

I'm not saying that is the one for you to get. You have to look and see what options each one has, read the reviews on it (from more than one source if possible) and decide what features you want for the tasks you think you will want it for. The Delta fit for us, the Harbor Freight could be a much better choice for someone else. And if you are only going to be truing up pen blanks, a 6" should be more than adequate.

Hope this helps more than confuses.

Last edited:

liljohn1368

I have a 6" disc sander that I got from hf. I just sharpened my tools for the first time today. Now they are throwing ribbons. I got the 4"x36" belt/6"disc combo for $59.99

smik

Don I have the Rikon 12" nice sander, good power. I bought based on reviews and the price.

Fish30114

Folks, thanks for the input. Tony I will look for sales at those dealers. Bill I have a monster belt sander--a Burr King--JMichael I really appreciate your input--I liked the Delta, but had crossed it off the list because of the reviews that said 'bad plate' so it may go back under consideration...Smik, that's exactly the kind of stuff I need--thanks!

Appreciate it folks, keep it coming!

Edward Cypher

I have the 12 inch from HF I must have gotten the one made on a good day in Taiwan because the plate is dead flat and the platform does not move even when pressing on it with 2x6 rocking motorcycle pieces for hours at a time. The only problem is it takes forever to spin down. Which at times can be a plus but most of the time it just eats up time.

jj9ball

I have the 12" Jet. I have used the $?^# out of it. I bought it in 2007 and have made (flushed up tubes and flattened blanks) between 3500 and 4000 kit pens using it since. I only mention this because it still works just as good as the day I bought it. It has a 1 hp motor and is a BEAST. I have also used it for other light woodworking tasks like tightening up miters and flush sanding and taking saw marks out of outside curves. It has always worked well and is probably still the highest priced out of all the 12 inchers. I think it was around $350 8 years ago. FWIW I don't regret the price because the performance has been great.

shastastan

I have a 10" model from HF. I think it was $80. It works great and seems to run true as near as I can tell. It has a dust outlet. I plug the sander into my Fein vac and use the power switch on the sander for both. Note--This was not on sale when I bought it nor did I bother to look for any coupons--which I should have done. No regrets on this purchase though.

Top Bottom