Which chuck to get for bowls?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dutra

Hello all, I have a small dilema.

I want to start making bowls and have been looking a chucks.
I like the Nova G3 and saw it in action at woodcraft.

My main question is...
Should I get just the chuck wich comes with 50mm jaws,
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2005766/22395/NOVA-G3-Chuck-Without-Threaded-Insert.aspx

or would it be worth getting the promotional kit WC has? http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2080766/29195/Nova-G3-Chuck-and-Jaw-Promotional-Package.aspx

are the extrs jaws for the extra $$$?

Any help is appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

brownsfn2

I just got the Nova G3 for christmas and I am really happy with it. I woudl get the basic kit because you can always either make a longworth chuck for reverse chucking or us a homemade jamb chuck.

Also if you plan to use a dovetail recess for mounting the bowl I found it difficult to get the right angle. You might want to look at the dovetail tool.

I think it is a nice chuck for the price though.

bitshird

The G3 is a better chuck than the Super Nova 2, it's good on bowls up to 9 0r 10 inches, and on lathes up to 12, I know what I'm saying about the SN2 is going to stir some feathers, but after getting mine repaired 3 times, I've about had it with it, but I do some larger stuff on my 16x40 so I needed the SN2 (WRONG) I needed an Axminster or a Titan or a Stronghold. or even another G3 with the 75mm jaws, any thing but that P.O.S. Super Nova 2.
I must admit I was warned by a fellow turner Gary Max, that he wore his out in 2 months, I thought he just got a lemon.
All of the ones made in China suck, If you could find one made in OZ then grab it but if it's a newer one RUN.
You can't go wrong with a G3.

brownsfn2

If you buy the cheaper one then use the extra $$ to get a good bowl gouge. I bought a cheap bowl gouge at first and it was a very bad decision and did not make things enjoyable.

nava1uni

I have the G3 and I would get the promotional at Woodcraft. You then have jaws for turning smaller items and it is much less expensive then buying them individually. I actually have 2 of them and leave one set of jaws that I use all the time and the other I can change as needed.

Dutra

If you buy the cheaper one then use the extra $$ to get a good bowl gouge. I bought a cheap bowl gouge at first and it was a very bad decision and did not make things enjoyable.

Yea, I already got a Robert Sorby bowl gouge, not sure why I got it before I had a chuck...

keithkarl2007

Buy the best heavy duty chuck you can afford, it's this piece of kit that keeps that chunk of wood held securely on the lathe. The G3 is a great chuck for a mid sized lathe but if you feel you are going to turn larger diameter bowls than the G3 is intended for you may need a bigger chuck. Have a look here at the Goliath and K10 from Axminster. http://www.axminster.co.uk/woodturners-chucks-dept815214_pg1/

wayno

don't rule out Vicmarc, I have the 100 and the 120 and they are so much better than the novas but more $. Use your faceplate and spend the money on a good gouge, chuck can come later

Wdcrvr

or would it be worth getting the promotional kit WC has? http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2080766/29195/Nova-G3-Chuck-and-Jaw-Promotional-Package.aspx

are the extrs jaws for the extra $$$?

That same promotional package was on sale at Woodcraft for ~$180 in November. I'd pass on getting it for the current price of ~$300. IMHO, the 35mm jaws and the mini-Coles jaws are not very useful. You can get a second G3 chuck with a set of pin jaws for the price difference between the current promotional price ($300) and the current Woodcraft G3 with 50 mm chuck ($134 + $25 for insert). Then you'd have two good G3s ... one with a good utility 50mm chuck and one with a good pin jaws chuck that is useful for 1) small dia holdings, 2) bowl roughing, etc.

Tom

Top Bottom