Which chisels do you use to make your pens?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bree

In my continuing quest to scrounge up information and compare what I find with what I am doing, it occurs to me that I don't really know what kind of tools and in what sequence people are creating the beautiful works of pen art shown on this system. So here is what I typically do...
Rough to cylinder with a 3/4" Wood River Roughing gouge or an old 3/4" Frog Tool Co long and strong deep gouge.

Shape and reduce with a 5/8" radiused Lacer Skew.

Final trim down to the bushings with a 1/2" Sorby Spindlemaster.
I find that these are the tools I use 80 or 90% of the time. I have a lot of others but I always come back to these. Now if I don't ask, I won't know...

So what are you guys using??

:question::question::question:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stolicky

I started using a 1" roughing gouge to turn the blank down and then used a 1/2" oval skew. Mainly because I was comfortable with them and they were my first turning tools, both PSI.

Over time I have evolved to the point where, lately, I prefer to use my 5/8" Thompson spindle gouge (I know, its kind of over kill but works great) and then either use the 1/2" or 3/4" oval skews (both Sorby). It kind of depends on how I feel and how the well the material is cutting.

aggromere

i use a one inch roughing gouge to take them down to size, proud of the bushings, then use a 1/2 inch oval skew or a 1 inch oval skew, depending on what im doing.

alamocdc

I usually go skew all the way unless the blank starts out really knarly. Then I'll use a spindle gouge at the beginning. Roughing gouges and I don't really get along well.:eek:

GouletPens

1/4" spindle gouge ground to a partial fingernail profile, then 1/2" spindlemaster. I'll use a roughing gouge on bottle stoppers or reeeeeally out of round pieces, or if my spindle gouge is dull and I don't feel like sharpening it yet!!:tongue:

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I start with a 1" roughing gouge .. then depending on how recently I sharpened it,
I might just go all the way with it. After all, it's already in my hand, I already have a
feel for how THIS tool affects THIS wood.. It depends. Sometimes I'll use a bedan
or a spear scraper.. but more often than not, I'll just continue with the roughing gouge
and touch it up on the wheel. I use the flutes on the side like a skew though. I just
roll the tool where others might turn over a skew to use the other side.

mick

1. skogger to size
2. 3/4 inch oval skew to finish.

The only other tool I ever use for pens would be a parting tool if I need to turn a tenon on a Euro Designed or a Flat top American. Really simplified my tool rack!

VisExp

1 1/4" Lacer skew. Long point down to round the blank and turn to rough shape. Long point up to final finish. Parting tool to make tenons on kits that need them.

bitshird

Carbide roughing gouge wit a 4 in radius insert to slightly proud of finish diameter then sand starting with 220, 400, 600, 800, 1500, Wood, Acrylics or Tru Stone.

its_virgil

1 1/2 inch skew until close to the end. Then I change to a 1/2 inch skew to finish the turning. I have my skews ground with a 25 degree convex bevel and a 7 degree skew angle. This grind is used by Eli Aversera and is described on several of his videos and is the grind on his line of toolsmade by Hamlet. I tried it on one of my skews and I love the way it performs. Now, all but one of them are ground this way.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Bree

Wow! It amazing just how many people turn in unexpected and unique ways. I have to try some of these methods. I realize now just how limited my vision has been.
:eek::eek::eek:

GouletPens

I think people are pretty much all over the place b/c pens are very forgiving. If you're turning a large vessel or a platter there are certain tools that will work much better than others. On large objects like these, using the wrong tool can take a significant amount more time and effort, not to mention be dangerous. But since pens are so small and (mostly) harmless, you can really turn it with anything that you want. Heck, a couple of crosscut zebrawood pens I've 'turned' with nothing but a rasping file and sandpaper!!!

rjwolfe3

I don't use any. The little woodshop gnomes come out after I go to bed and do all the turning. Honest, I seen em. I even have nicknames for them. The leader is Jeff, and then there's Ed and Cav . . .

RAdams

Banned
1/2" spindle gouge to get the blank round and on the ends near the bushings, then 1/2" round scraper. I can usually get the blank into shape enough to start with 600 grit on all but wood. I like to go through the steps to get the wood to diameter.

Top Bottom