lathe problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fshenkin94

I have a delta 1440 lathe. When I pull the tailstock up to the head the point of the tailstock spur is about a 32nd of an inch below the headstock spur. This is throwing my pens out of balance and is frustrating me to no end. Is there any kind of adjustemnt that I can make to correct this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

I'm not familiar with your model lathe and tried, without success, to find with searches. However, many lathes are designed to be just like that. What you need to do is realign the tail with the head and tighten the tail locking nut when the points are aligned.

randyrls

Frank; I don't know the history of this lathe, if you are the first owner, or how old the lathe is.

You said that the tail stock point is "below" the headstock point. Before doing anything else, make sure the taper bores are clean and free of any grit and grime, wood shavings etc. Clean THROUGHLY!

Oh; This lathe has a pivoting head stock. Make sure there isn't any wood dust or grime under the head stock. Same for the tail stock.

You *can* shim the underside of the tailstock to raise it up and then install the shims permanently. A set or two of leaf type gauges used for autos will provide all the shims you need. Use caution if you decide to do this.

To adjust, bring the points together until they are almost touching. Clamp the tailstock. Put a gauge leaf between them and GENTLY advance the tail stock hand wheel. The direction the leaf twists tells you whether it is high or low, left or right.

Hop this helps...

fshenkin94

Randy - Thanks for the info, but I need more help. 1. What is a leaf type gauge? 2. How do you use them as permanent shims and why the caution?

Thanks

randyrls

Randy - Thanks for the info, but I need more help. 1. What is a leaf type gauge? 2. How do you use them as permanent shims and why the caution?

Thanks

a leaf gauge is a set of thin shims used to measure the clearance on things like spark plugs, and clearance on cam followers etc like this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=32214

Remove the leaves form the stem they are on. The leaves have the thickness marked on them.

Caution because you want to rule everything else out before you start messing with the alignment on your lathe.

mickr

OK this is down home country fix..I have a lathe with the same type problem..I took a piece of sandpaper & shimmed my tailstock..grit to base of tailstock..non-grit to ways..it slides happily back & forth and has for years...simple, cheap, and easy

I got their GO462 lathe about 6 months ago and would suggest you call Grizzly to ask their staff. They are very helpful, you talk to an English speaking person and they may need to send a replacement tension nut or can suggest whatever you may need. I had to call them due to a locking lever problem and had great communication and results.

Last edited:

Rifleman1776

Are you talking about the nut on the underside of the tailstock? How does that change the vertical alignment?

It is a matter of hand aligning the head and tail then tightening to overcome designed-in slop. Consistent, perfect, alignment without hand adjusting requires a much higher degree of close tolerances and different engineering in a lathe. High end, and much more expensive, lathes do have those tolerances. What is being lost is made up for in lower price. Not bad, just a concession.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
OK this is down home country fix..I have a lathe with the same type problem..I took a piece of sandpaper & shimmed my tailstock..grit to base of tailstock..non-grit to ways..it slides happily back & forth and has for years...simple, cheap, and easy

Ditto,

On the predecessor to your Delta----My Delta.

Randy_

You can also purchase brass shim stock from most hobby stores and glue (epoxy) the necesasry thickness to the bottom of the tailstock.

Last edited:
Top Bottom