Which Camera?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

yorkie

So, I'm having a bugger of a time photographing my pens. i have a booth but couldn't get pictures any better. I'm using a point and shoot auto focus but that doesn't always flash and rarely captures the grain or the depth.

Someone suggested a manual focus camera so now I'm just about to embark on analysis to paralysis.

I would love any suggestions on a good camera to use and tips on manual focus/auto focus/using the mini booth etc.

Thanks a lot, guys.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
I would argue that lighting is more important than a new camera. What model camera do you have? That will help decide if your camera really needs upgrading.

steeler fan1

Yorkie,

I'm not qualified to recommend a camera. I'm sure you'll some help from those with more skills than me. I will say there are people taking some very good pictures with point and shoot cameras. May not be the camera, may be your setup. I think there are some tutorials in the library that might help.

Now, if you just want to get a new camera thats a whole different matter:biggrin:.

Good luck in your search.

Carl

tjseagrove

No flash is really better once you have the light setup properly in your photo booth.

Your camera should also have a function to flash all the time. That is used to fill in pics on bright days outside.

Make sure to wipe them down before taking the photo. Dust shows up really well on closeups.

Tom

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I'm no expert

I got some help from a member here - I take the pics now in natural light with no flash. I don't use the booth but I do use a tripod. I also use the sheets from the booth as background. Get some decent photo working software and you'll be able to fix most of the lighting problems well enough. I do not use an expensive camera or expensive software.

Once you are getting decent pictures you can work on the rest at your leisure.

Lenny

Yorkie, to help you we could use more information as to what you are doing now.

What camera are you using now?
Are you using a tripod?
Are you using the macro feature? There will be a minimum distance at which the camera is capable of focusing ... the closest you can get and still be able to focus, will be by using MACRO mode AND at the WIDE angle setting. If you use your telephoto zoom at all you will need to maintain the appropriate distance for a proper focus.
Experimenting with different metering modes CAN make a difference also.

76winger

I would ensure decent lighting in your photo tent and not use the flash to get better pictures. Generally, you'll also need a tripod to ensure the camera remains steady for the longer exposures it will take with artificial lighting. Using sunlight is also a good option when available so long as it's not too cold out in your area.

Here's a couple threads on photo booths I've found helpful, I hope they help you as well:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=75145&highlight=photo
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=74186

Once you got lighting under control, the it will be time to see what tweaks can be done with your camera. Posting what make/model you have will help everyone find accurate info for you.

yorkie

Thanks a lot, guys. This is all great information. Right now I'm just laying them on the counter or on a stand and using a good quality point and shoot but it's all automatic, so doesn't give me any options except for flash on or off.

I have a booth but still couldn't quite get good photos. I think if I can get a good camera/better camera such as a Canon Powershot mentioned in the .pdf file in an earlier thread, I would probably be in good shape.

Lots of great tips and suggestions.

THanks a lot, guys.

Lenny

Often the options can be buried in the menu.
You may have features (like macro mode) if you can figure out how to set it. :confused:
There are many great little cameras available .... I like the Canons myself, I don't think you could go wrong there. :)

76winger

Most of the classic camera makers such as Cannon, Nikon, Olympus, etc have some pretty decent camera with a lot of flexibility these days. Even the point and shoot ones usually have ways for setting white balance (and important feature if are buying one) and adjusting exposure levels and such.

But none take very good pen pictures using the built in flash just because you get too much reflection back at the camera from the pen when flash is used. You get much nicer photos and less shadows when you can illuminate the pen from the top/front and sides.

Top Bottom