Where do the years go?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Here we are a little more than three weeks from the end of another year. Where the h___ do they go, it seems like just yesterday we were celebrating the passing of the last one.

I remember how slow the years passed as a kid....waiting to be old enough to go to school, waiting for the school year to end, waiting for summer to end and back to school, waiting to be a teenager, waiting to start high school, waiting to be 16, waiting to graduate, waiting to be 21 so we could vote and drink......then we hit 21 and the waiting for most things was over and time has been speeding up ever since, I think today we're doing an hour in about 40 minutes.

Willie Nelson (among others) recorded a song with the title and one of the main lines "Ain't It Funny How Time Slips Away?" Well my answer is "No it ain't funny, it's more like tragic":biggrin::biggrin:

So often something will pop into my head and I'll be thinking about it and it will suddenly hit me that it happened 15 years ago or maybe even longer. I turn around and my grandkids are in high school yet it seems like their parents just graduated. My eldest is only 3 years younger than I was when I retired from my career employment....

I cant believe it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TBCbushings

I am only 43 not very old and all but it seems like the years just run together here lately... I've been at my current job for 6 years it seems like it was just last year I started...not funny..lol

ironman123

Know what you mean. Sometimes while conversing with someone I would say "yea we did that about 15-18 years ago" then my wife would say "No dear, that was more like 30 years ago when we did that. I would think more about it and it was 30 years ago.

Ray

larryc

The theory is: When you're ten years old, one year is 10 percent of your life - a large percent. That's why when you're young Christmas or your birthday never seems to get here.

As you get older, one year is a smaller percent of your life - at fifty one year is only 1/50th (two percent of your life) a much smaller percent.

Right now I'm at one year equals 1.22 percent. Such a small amount and it isn't long enough to get everything done that I want to

rej19

Smitty, I feel that way often. But recently I have tried to be more thankful for the time that I have had and dwell on the good times. I think of many that never made it to my age or the unbelievably difficult life some have and I can't complain. But I know what you mean for sure.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Smitty, I feel that way often. But recently I have tried to be more thankful for the time that I have had and dwell on the good times. I think of many that never made it to my age or the unbelievably difficult life some have and I can't complain. But I know what you mean for sure.
I'm not complaining --- I'm just overwhelmed by the thought of it.

ashaw

Yep the years are going by faster and faster. Right now is going way too fast. I just need another two more weeks in December or another 48 hours per day.

robutacion

I often ask the same question to myself and while I don't have any "satisfactory" answer however, I tend to believe that, since I stop working for a living and start living for my work, I enjoy life a lot more, I know that the rent, power and subsistence food are covered by my pension and that took away 90% of the load I carried and the stress of seeing targets not met an working today to pay the expenses of a week ago that would easily escape into a much longer period, if I didn't manage to catch up quickly.

Living with a small pension, since 2004-2005, I learn to adapt and to appreciate time in a very different way, I don't rely on an alarm clock nor on any mobile phones, times goes a lot faster no doubt but, there are no regrets nor, the feeling of going backwards, time goes by hurting a lot less (not these last few days, though...!:eek::)) and allowing me to enjoy it a lot more, my way. Perfect company makes that a smooth ride that is only spoiled by the inner fight between mind and body, these two stop working together, long ago, each one taking a very different road.

In all, is not so much the time duration but the time quality, existing for the sake of existing is not the way I would like to see myself for the time I have left so, I make my time to go as fast or slow as it wishes, taking from the ride the best I'm capable of...!:)

Cheers
George

Last edited:

Ambidex

I'm only 56..but time does disappear faster than imaginable. One of the things that bother me is I(or we) can't convince young people how fast time goes. And one thing we can appreciate is the slow and easy way we were brought up..not work wise mind you, but stop and smell the roses type of upbringing. What bothers me to no end is life is so fast and multi-tasking that these youngsters will never understand what they are missing by constantly being in a hurry. The more is better concept may look good on paper, but as Zach Brown says "there's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know"..uh rant over:biggrin:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
You said it

I do remember being a kid when during the summer months I didn't have to answer to any schedule. Whatever I felt like doing, when I felt like doing it. No rush to practice this, or get to that game or go to a 'scheduled' play visit with a friend. If I wanted to go play with a friend I just went.

Life was much slower and easier - I (and my peers) was allowed to be a kid. Until I was about 13 or 14 there wasn't even Television to distract me and I listened to my radio programs while waiting for supper if I was inside, if I was outside - I just didn't hear the program.

SDB777

So if I have been saying I'm on my 22nd anniversary of being 25, does that make me old?

Seeing time go by isn't a big thought for me, I try not to even think about it(until this moment that is). Is that a rational way? Probably not, but if I'm not thinking about all that has gone by I might be able to enjoy what is happening now.....

Scott (not thinking is a great idea) B

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
So if I have been saying I'm on my 22nd anniversary of being 25, does that make me old?

Seeing time go by isn't a big thought for me, I try not to even think about it(until this moment that is). Is that a rational way? Probably not, but if I'm not thinking about all that has gone by I might be able to enjoy what is happening now.....

Scott (not thinking is a great idea) B
Relative to whom? My grandkids would say you are old, my kids would say you are entering middle age, I would say you're still a kid.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Smitty the time does go by quickly, but it doesn't run out. This is not our home.

Blessings,
Harry
Passing from this life is not the end - it's the beginning.
That is really the way I believe...but that doesn't mean I think this life is so bad. Perhaps the next life is outside of time and space.

I agree retirement seems to have doubled the speed to time assign and the lack of time to reflect. I have to work hard just to get time to get in the shop.

life surely seems to be flying by at 63.

Scruffy

There is a psychological reason...

When you are 2 years old, the time till your next birthday is equal to 1/2 your life.

When you are 50 years old, your next birthday is only 1/50 th of your life until your next one.

So psychologically your birthdays get closer and closer together.

One month when you are 50, is nothing. When your are young you don't believe you can wait one month.

Top Bottom