Where can I find HSS M2 to buy?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

meshel

Hi,

I'm looking for a source to buy hardened/tempered HSS M2 steel bars and rods - not a large amount, for personal use (want to make a few tools by grinding the shape into the metal). preferebly with cutting services.

I looked at McMaster-Carr but they seem to only offer annealed material - or am I missing something?

Thanks,
Moshe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
You could probably make friends with anyone at a machine shop and they
could let you piggyback on their next order. My local shop even let me take
home a huge manual to look through, but I can't remember what the name
of it was. MTG or MHS or something.. manual must have weighted about
20 lbs.
A large machinery company would probably get irritated. But a small shop
might work with you

Daniel

MSC, and yeah the Big Book is just that, Big! Not sure if you will find "Hardened" anything from a metal supplier since the idea is to machine the metal and then harden it. I would look for a local metal supplier for just a small amount of rod etc. I am getting ready to place a small order for drill rod with MSC myself.

pipecrafter

Are you sure the McMaster M2 is annealed? It doesn't say so, and it lists it as "very hard M2/M7". I'd give them a call to be sure.

Failing that, MSC Direct also carries M2.

JeffinWIS

Moshe, a place like this will make what you want...likely expensive though, and you are in Israel?
http://www.knifemaker.com/111_kprod.html
Might give you an idea of places to search for though.

Not sure what sizes you are looking for. I've got some 1/8" X 1" X 18" M2 hardened to 58-60RC, 1/8" X 1" X 18" A11 hardened to 60-62RC. Have made some small scrapers, form tools, and parting tools. Also have 1/2" X 3/4" X 18" D2 hardened to 63-65RC. Made a Bedan tool and a couple heavy duty scrapers from that.

woodboys

Moshe, I have ordered the steel from McMaster-Carr and after you shape it you anneal it by heating it. I don't remember where the instructions are but they are on their site. I believe it was A1 steel I ordered though.

meshel

Moshe, I have ordered the steel from McMaster-Carr and after you shape it you anneal it by heating it. I don't remember where the instructions are but they are on their site. I believe it was A1 steel I ordered though.

When I looked at a few specific items it specified that it was annealed (soft), the hardness mentioned is the "potential" hardness (assuming you manage)...
And Hardening and Tempering HSS is not as easy as O1 and W1 (those aren't simple either but require less percision than HSS, and also less heat).

meshel

Are you sure the McMaster M2 is annealed? It doesn't say so, and it lists it as "very hard M2/M7". I'd give them a call to be sure.

Failing that, MSC Direct also carries M2.

Quite sure, it would also make perfect sense that way, I'll give them a call anyway just to be on the safe side (maybe they carry it in a different section or under a different name, or maybe even provide special order - who knows)

Thanks!

meshel

You could probably make friends with anyone at a machine shop and they
could let you piggyback on their next order. My local shop even let me take
home a huge manual to look through, but I can't remember what the name
of it was. MTG or MHS or something.. manual must have weighted about
20 lbs.
A large machinery company would probably get irritated. But a small shop
might work with you

I wish I could, this is Israel - not as common here, so no place I can think of that would even give me a glance...

Top Bottom