Dust Masks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy_

Don't think I am ready to spend $200+ for a Triton respirator, just yet; but suspect the little paper ones need to be upgraded. Has anyone ever used the Dust Bee Gone mask? Does it do a good job? Is it worth the money or are there better options that are not so painfully priced as the Triton?:eek:

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

I use it and like it when used in conjuction with a dust collector. However, as a stand alone barrier against dust, it falls short of providing excellent protection.

fiferb

I purchased some surgical masks, 50 for under $15. I've been very happy with their performance. The box says they filter 0.1 microns.

DocStram

I started off with a Dust Be Gone .... and experienced health problems after turning some antler blanks. Then I realized that the Dust Be Gone does not have an OSHA rating. Not having an OSHA rating is just a small little detail that the Dust Be Gone advertisements overlook.

I decided that the cost of the Trend AirShield outweighed my medical expenses. After purchasing the Trend .... I've never looked back. :biggrin:

Russianwolf

Use my Dust-be-gone all the time. It's comfortable, doesn't fog up my glasses, and prevents me from having black atuff come out when I blow my nose.

It may not be the best in terms of filtration, but I have too many other safety problems with some of the others. I also usually have my DC running so it's just protecting me from the little bit floating in the air.

GouletPens

i use a dust b gone as well. I'm happy with it, esp. since its washable and essentially will last forever if you take care of it. Still though, I would not consider turning at all without a dust collector and air filtration system. If you do any research at all on cocobolo, tulipwood, zebrawood, zircote, ebony, makore, mahongany, and the list goes ON and ON, you'll find that almost any wood you work with is toxic one way or another.

Last year I turned about 75 tulipwood pens for a corporate order, and the first day I got poison ivy all over my forearms (no DC). I did some research and found the tulipwood is HORRIBLE for your health, especially in fine dust form like sanding. I hooked up a DC with a hood at my lathe and I haven't had a problem since, with any wood. If you get even a small dust collector and run it to your lathe, it will at LEAST get the dust away while you're sanding. Then the respirator is not so critical, b/c you're sucking most of it away from you to begin with.

GoodTurns

I have and wear the Dust Be Gone and have been very satisfied with it. I have lots of hay fever type allergies/bad sinuses and have not had any problems while wearing it. I do use it in conjunction with a dust collector and overhead air cleaner.

Tn-Steve

When you are talking about dust masks, I assume that you mean something like these N95 rated ones. I had never considered a dust mask or any kind of dust control system in the work shop (a 12x25 storage unit), but I may have to look at putting some countermeasures into place.

Steve
If I knew I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.

arjudy

I have a DBG mask and use it frequently, buy I recently purchased some NIOSH N95 masks to use when I turn the M3 Mokume metal blanks. I don't really want fine metal particles in my lungs. I also have been wondering about anlter dust and the DBG. I would feel better about it if it has a NIOSH rating. It's great because it doesn't fog up my safety glasses.

Daniel

I use a plain old half mask respirator, you can get them from any safety supply. My gues is they run about $30 plus the cost of cartridges. I use vapor cartridges and nothing gets through not even the smell of antler being turned. The cartridges can be expensive but my first set have lasted over 5 years so far.

leehljp

Member Liaison
How do you know when the carts needs to be replaced?

When I can't breathe! :biggrin: I replace mine about every 12 months or so, needed or not.

Back to the original question. For each, it will depend on their situation. I noticed a few say that the DBG did well for them and glasses. I tried DGB back in the States and it fogged my glasses terribly. Those little clips just don't seal well. I am only average size but my lung inhale and exhale exceed the capacities of those and any with the metal pinch clips.

I use a mask similar to what Dennis linked to on the first page and don't have a problem with that. I have the Triton but it is too much to take on and off, on and off as I move from one step to another and back again. Went back to the rubber double canister type.

GouletPens

I know I'm completely not helping here at all, but don't you hate it when you're wearing a whole mask setup and you have to sneeze? I'm not one of those people who holds in a sneeze, so I have to throw off my mask like it's on fire before I get a faceful of snot!! :eek:

Top Bottom