Whats the difference between the Woodchuck and the EZ Wood tools?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WHartman

Let me prefeace this question with - I am VERY new to turning. I have used the EZ Wood Tools (CI3 I think it was), and thought it was great.

I see that a ton of people on this forum are raving about the Woodchuck tool, so after looking at the site, it seems like a EZ Wood tool, but lower price.

Whats the difference? I am looking to pick up a couple of tools and want to get the best option for the money.

Thanks for the info.

Wade

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Padre

I have the Woodchuck Pen Pro, the Ci1, Ci0 and the Ci2.

To me there is a big difference if you compare the Woodchuck PEN Pro to the Easy Wood Tools.

The Woodchuck Pen Pro is a shorter, beefier tool than the Ci1, Ci0 and Ci2. It gives me much more control over the tool. And to me, it gives more of a 'feel' for the work than the Easy Wood Tools.

Also, the Easy Wood Tools have their inserts at a strict 90 degrees, whereas you look at the Woodchuck Pen Pro the insert is angled ever so slightly for a more precise cut.

My .02 worth.

bitshird

EZ is the one that came up with the Idea and the rest are just knockoffs

Actually not quite an accurate statement, the only person to hold a patent on an inserted carbide tool is Mike Hunter, and it's about 3 years before Craig and I started making our knock offs of Mikes tools.

JerrySambrook

There is also a place in Connecticut that is called new edge tools who have making these for over 10 years as well.

There is a difference between Kens/EZ and Hunter/New Edge though.

The first two use a "straight" cutter, which works very much like a good scraper (and I am not knocking it), where the Hunter and New Edge both have a recessed cutter, which actually have a shearing action more than a scraping action.

Top Bottom