What's in your pen?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vakmere

First, this is not about what is better but more about feel, flow, and how, psychologically, different brands of refill feels to you.

Possibly discussed before but it came to my attention there are a lot of ways to ink my Jr. Rollerballs, Barons, Sedona's, or any of the rollerball series. Install what comes with the kit or open up other pens from the office and swap them out. Schmidt comes with most and I have received some with Schneider. A big consideration is the quality of paper and the surface we are writing on that determines what your pen stroke and line looks and feels like. (Penmanship aside). I know it's getting technical but there can be a little science to this and makes our craft/hobby that much more interesting.

IMO Schmidt 5888 has a different feel than the Schmidt 888. I like the rich dark lines. It will draw the reader's attention. The Schneider does not get used at all. I put it aside.

Three other refills I will use are Pilot G2, Pentel, and Uniball Signo 207. If you like fine, medium, or broad, it's a personal preference. Also depends on what I'm doing with it. Filling in small blocks on a log sheet – drawing a little art (fine point), writing a letter – signing documents (medium or broad point).

The Pilot G2-07 does not bleed thru the paper much and I like the feel of the tip and flow of the ink. The clear plastic shows how much ink is left and looks like there is a lot of ink in there.

Pentel is similar but the open hole atop the refill will get the spring caught in it. Still has a good line and flow.

Uniball Signo 207 has a nice flow and color, ball glides over the paper but the tip sticks out a little further than the others and changes the angle of attack slightly.

Some people really don't care one way or another but it's like shoes. If I try enough of them on I'll find a pair that feel comfortable and are less stress on my feet and legs even after the break-in period. I can't determine what a customer will like as a refill. I just know what I like in mine and that can be several brands. Maybe this is why I have bought over 50 bass guitars in my life, each has its own properties but it's the guy playing it that determines what it sounds like.

Nice to have so many choices.

TurtleTom

Being a new pen turner, I was wondering where I could possibly get that information....this gets filed.
Thanks.

You just can't afford a free lunch...

Last edited:
Top Bottom